Brambles!

I have been asked to manage a small holding hardwood woodland.

It's plagued by brambles. I suggested putting pigs in, in a managed way. client doesnt want the hasstle.

Any suggestions on best way or compound to irradicate the brambles?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plagued? wait till after they have fruited and collect all the brambles you can, then wait till the next year and do the same etc etc:001_tt2:

dont you have big boots and chainsaw trousers? these make walking through them a painless doddle and mr vandal wont be able to get through with his silly joggers on:thumbup1:

Bramble management sorted methinks:001_rolleyes:

Flail them a nice path to follow and create a bramble hedge, great for nesting birds etc alternatively spray with Grazon 90 which is selective, but you'll need a PA cert to use and buy it. I use it create dead areas of bramble to allow natural regeneration.

Surprising though it may seem, brambles are sometimes easy to uproot in woodland. I once had the task of clearing bramble whilst trying to save the wild raspberry nearby, and was surprised not only at how much of the bramble root was in the leafmould layer, but also at how few bramble rootstocks there were relative to the area covered.

Some of them just pulled out without having to be dug. Finding somewhere to put the phenomenal quantity of unwieldy bramble stems was the hard bit.