Flushing Cherry

smiles

Has anyone got any experience of flushing red diesel out of a fuel system?

I'm putting an ex-airfield 110 fire engine on the road (as a chip truck) and it's been run on red,now obviously need to run on white.

I'm changing the tank anyway as it has a leak,but otherwise just thinking of fitting a new filter and letting customs and excise know about the date of the change,can anyone offer any more advise?

Cheers

Steve

By the time you have changed the tank and filter you will have got rid of the majority of the gasoil.

Blow the fuel line and lift pump through and re fill with derv. I wouldn’t bother notifying HMCE, keep the details of change with you for a tank full or two just in case you get pulled and they find a trace.

Oh yes,,,,,Pictures man, where are the pictures?

Cheers Treequip

my only concern about the papertrail is that I also buy about £30.00 of cherry a month for my chipper and tractor - just concerned that it wouldn't look too good - although hardly big time !

Will sort some pics....erm when the missus does the technical bit.....fire engine had a slight roof/runway situation going on,so it ain't pretty!

Cheers

Steve

For best practice just keep a record of what you did with the gasoil, what machine, when and what quantity. They will know how much you bought from your supplier.

The chances of getting an audit are low but last time the wandered in to my yard I showed them the paper trail and they went away happy and in quick order.

Cheers Treequip and Rover

Dropped the tank out today,after being told it had been drained for "safety" reasons on the airfield - and found 70 litres of cherry - bonus!! although this means I've got to fix the fuel gauge as well.

First pic is how it came to me - dont think the water tank had any baffles!

All seems to run OK and the only damage has been taken by the outriggers,which have now been replaced.

Just got to swap the body with my current 110 over from the front bulkhead back,and get some green paint!

59765d9907520_stevephone090911061.jpg.a489e23cfde051201672eb90efa1ca75.jpg

59765d9902b0c_stevephone090911058.jpg.f811fc6923142aace5f8a8f3b566598b.jpg

59765d99003af_stevephone090911060.jpg.d58b493402c50598178a04df0f3977fe.jpg

59765d98ef7f0_stevephone090911030.jpg.83beb2dd319f6cf1c57ea9ca82aa8e0a.jpg

I use 1L of petrol per tank full of drev every now and again after running on veg oil to clean the system through which works a treat, a filter change and I also have an inline filter where i removed the sedimenter so i change that too then good as new!