Kettlebell training

Steve Bullman

I have never been one for training or doing weights etc because it just didnt seem natural. Those kettlebells however are impressing me, they seem like a more natural and better way of training and i can see potential for strengthening parts of the body needed for our work.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must agree with you David, the difference I feel to a couple of weeks ago just doing some light workouts with kettles is inspiring. I'm not going at it hardcore, just limbering myself up and tunng myself in at the moment. After many years of physical neglect and heavy smoking, I may just give myself a heart attack if I go in too aggressively (esp now I'm in my senior years as a certain lady doc put it the other day!) :blushing: So I'm doing a mix of cycling to excercise the lungs and the old ticker, and kettles to build my "core strength" and hopefully one day I may half as fit as I was in my early 30's!

I know one thing, its a lot tougher this time around! I have a long way to go and its all uphill this time. At least i can breathe now :thumbup:

Andy be realistic with your goals and i would recomend finding a good local instructor, join the gym and see what classes they run.

Putting time aside to train also gives you some chill time to yourself. When i first started the gym a few months back i would have my phone on and check it all the time, and be anxious that i was missing something.:001_rolleyes:

Now work gets it the way of my life, not the other way around.:thumbup1:

Any tips will be gratefully received on my part. I'm currently working with 10kg kettles as i dont really fancy a coronary today. I'm doing them more slowly and more controlled than many of the "instruction" vids show, mainly so I can still breathe by the end of a set :blushing: As I said, I'm physically in a worse state than I have ever been, too many ciggies smoked over too many years.

Andy be realistic with your goals

Oh, I am!! I aim to build my core strength up....eventually. I aim to lift like I used to......eventually. I'd forgotten what it feels like to feel good after doing weights, seemed to have slipped into my "senior years" (bloody young doctors) and vegetated somewhat! Most of you guys are doing what I was doing at your age, so just dont start doing what I'm doing at my age!!:thumbup1:

Andy our sessions last 37 minutes with 37 excercises, its torture, but very rewarding when you complete it and lie there exhausted in a pool of sweat lol.

I can throw the heavier ones about for doing a few reps, but for a long cardio session grab a lighter 1 mate, that will clear your lungs out:thumbup:

Our instructor has done his back in working in his garden:blushing:so i will concentrate on the gym until he is better, i am going to try some of the moves that were shown on the vids on this thread and some i have found on utube:001_smile:

And try to work on my hamstrings as they are limiting my chore work in the class as my feet are so far away from my reach:laugh1:

I'll make some instruction vids and post them.

In process of trying to open a kettlebell and strength training gym in glasgow.

Primal instinct training. just need to find a decent unit for let.

tell me if you are interested in this and i will start with basics and show you how to use the bells.

M

Good idea, good instructions for the basics for the beginner are vital:thumbup:

Just make sure (if you can) that they are easy to follow and cover the whole body.

Good look also with your gym.:thumbup: