Kettlebell training

Steve Bullman

sat about all day yesterday resting for today, managed to jump up to the 12kg kettle, my reps were less each excercise but managed it.

The class is going quicker and i am enjoying it more now my legs seem to be getting used to it. Still looks like i have sprung a leak by the huge puddle of sweat beneath my feet and on my mat lol.

:blushing::biggrin:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just all little advice for training programs.

Doing more than 5 exercises per training session is counter productive.

If you are newbie in training with kettlebells or bars / dumbells who should be doing 4 compound exercises per training session max and maybe some ab work.

E.g - if you can't press a 32k kettlebell for 10 reps or can't do double body weight squats.

Example workout should look like this-

Kettlebells -

swings - 5 sets between 15 - 20 or until form goes bad.

Snatches - 5 sets of either lows reps or high reps. 5 to 20.

Front kb squats - 5 x 5

tgu 6 sets.

This is more than enough for workout unless you want to do every move in the book to get a waist like a chick.

must read - pavels books on kettlebell training or you will just get injured or waste time and energy. Training is a science and if you do not train smart you won't just not make gains..you will put you body in a state of rapid aging and damage your skelaton etc.

do 5 exercises max per session and focus on quality if you want to become strong or fit.

Please go to http://www.dragondoor.com and read up before training.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing when it comes to strength and fitness as well as tree work.

Well i should be as safe as houses then:001_rolleyes:

All i'm saying that about 80% of people out there are damaging there body from training rather than improving. Best to pic up pavels books and save yourself an injury.

Pavel who took kettlebells to western world is classed as a master of sports which is a important rank in russia. If you read one of his many books you will see that he states often that training on the nerve ( CNS) is not the way to go.

I suppose you could relate tree work and training very similar. if you have little knowledge of tree fungi and diseases and you climb often you might get badly injured one day by not knowing VTA.

If you doing strength and fitness training and just jump onto the bandwagon like everyone else and don't do your research on human anatomy, Stretching, Diet, Over training, Central Nervous System to say a few then you will prob have an Injury also - Slipped disc, damaged cartilige on knee from incorrect form, Adrenal Fatigue leading to Weak Immune system etc

I put my faith in the hands of the experts, ie the instructors similar to yourself.

I have been abusing my body since leaving school until about the age of 32 until I woke up and got fed up with a knackered body.

the days I go to kettles, I do no other physical work, the days I beast work I do not train the next. I am very aware of the damage to the central nervous system as I bet that was why I caved in a few years ago.

the workout we do is mostly cardio, we all go at our own pace.

I did 2 days on the trott last week with 12 kg and it really ran me down, then dragged wet conny for 3 days in the rain, hense my bad back over the weekend.

today I dropped back to 8 kg, worked slower and deepened my squats to engage my glutes more and saved my energy for the 7 minutes of chore work which I beasted, and now my back feels great. :)

I put my faith in the hands of the experts, ie the instructors similar to yourself.

I have been abusing my body since leaving school until about the age of 32 until I woke up and got fed up with a knackered body.

the days I go to kettles, I do no other physical work, the days I beast work I do not train the next. I am very aware of the damage to the central nervous system as I bet that was why I caved in a few years ago.

the workout we do is mostly cardio, we all go at our own pace.

I did 2 days on the trott last week with 12 kg and it really ran me down, then dragged wet conny for 3 days in the rain, hense my bad back over the weekend.

today I dropped back to 8 kg, worked slower and deepened my squats to engage my glutes more and saved my energy for the 7 minutes of chore work which I beasted, and now my back feels great. :)

Good to hear they are helping. I find training with them counter acts sore muscles you get from tree work.

I used to train so fricken hard that it took me days to recover, I made gains very slowly and looked white and weak most of the time. Even though i was able to lift heavy my bodies's imune system was weak due to adrenal fatigue and over training.

I suppose you could relate tree work and training very similar. if you have little knowledge of tree fungi and diseases and you climb often you might get badly injured one day by not knowing VTA.

On the flip side, knowing to much theory and not having enough practical experience and courage and confidence in your own abilities could keep you in fear of trying things and limiting your experience.

But this is all hypothetical, I suppose what you are saying is know your limits, some little accorns will never be mighty oaks. You can only work with what you have after all :)

Good point on the CNS it's an issue rarely addressed outside of powerlifting and strength training.

It's somthing I learnt the hardway when inwas younger.

All my training is around central nervous system work now i train westside style with my DE days and max effort daysiDE do bit of kettlebell work for shoulder mobility more than anyhing nowadays