changing drawbar on timber bogey

Stephen Blair

I have an old Mowi timber bogie that has a conventional tractor drawbar, but i have a unimog with out a pick up hitch.:blushing:

Rather than spend a few grand on a pick up hitch i thought about building up the drawbar with some lumps of steel and then just using the rockinger.

The bogey will never see the main rd its just for pottering around woodland and farmland.

Any advice welcome or even better some pics of others botch ups,:001_rolleyes: oops i mean fabrications:biggrin:

I'd get some box section the same as the current drawbar, cut the hook off and then stack the bits of box up, staggering it a bit and then if you felt it needed it, plate down the sides.

Doing the work at the hook end should (I think) be stronger than doing it just near the haedboard too

Just need to make sure you leave enough clearance for when you do some sharp turns/climbs decensts

Are you able to pull the axle forward a bit to take a bit of nose weight off the drawbar too?

Well on a more serious note.. the forces on the drawbar at the point where you are raising it are considerable. As Chris says you will need to plate it if just stacking box up. Alex made a 'swan' neck, but at a price... i will get a photo...

Dont make the hitch swivel as the rockinger is designed to do that. I got a trailer done years ago for a rockinger and the hitch swivelled as well, got interesting at a round about as both had moved and it was in effect a solid piece..

Good luck :001_tt2: