Tree officer gone mad

Patchwork

Latley the tree officer working on our council contract seems to have gone pollard mad, havent had a reduction or thinnng job for weeks, seems every thing we do is pollard or reduce to 4m. had to pollard a perfectly healthy large goat willow that was next to a river not a danger to any one pollard to crown break at around 4-5m just cos some old guy complained some kids had started building a tree house, when i asked the tree officer why we were buchering the tree he started talking about heritage and it seems the fate of atleast 15 other trees down the river bank are to be done as well. starting to feel pretty crap at the end of the week now...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latley the tree officer working on our council contract seems to have gone pollard mad, havent had a reduction or thinnng job for weeks, seems every thing we do is pollard or reduce to 4m. had to pollard a perfectly healthy large goat willow that was next to a river not a danger to any one pollard to crown break at around 4-5m just cos some old guy complained some kids had started building a tree house, when i asked the tree officer why we were buchering the tree he started talking about heritage and it seems the fate of atleast 15 other trees down the river bank are to be done as well. starting to feel pretty crap at the end of the week now...

Until you wrote this post, I hadn't thought of pollarding in at least a month.

It's rare out here. In Beaverton - about 90,000 - where I live, I only know of one place where it's done routinely and properly, at an automobile sales business.

So do you need permits to prune there?

yeah i understand urban trees, but he is pollarding feild trees that are perfectly healthy and doing fine on their own. also when it comes to urban trees he seems to be putting "reduce to 4m" on every thing. most of the time were just leaving trees as a 4m stem with no branches and its exacly what he wants. did it on another 4 false acacias and an ash today, all they would have needed was a crown reduction and thin, basically cos its a council contract any one who makes a stupid complaint about a tree like "its dropping leaves" the tree turns into a 4m stem. its really really winding me up now

you think thats mad I 've heard of an arb officer that made guys remove all flowers from a horse chestnut ,as conkers are a problem

you think thats bad, we have had a couple of apple removals recently, and a pear! but the best is apparently we have an acorn removal on a mature oak!!! council policy gone mad!