Going to Wales

Lancstree

... for a few days over this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for stuff to do? We are probably staying around North Wales, Betws y coed, Porthmadog and Caemarfon. There are two Prisoner fans with us so they are looking forward to Porthmadog. We are after some interesting hiking through woodland and coastal rather than just scaling mountains. Weather permitting it would be good to chill out on a scenic beach with some beers and a fire.

All hostels are pretty full so we are probably staying in travelodge. Does anyone know of some more interesting and cheap accommodation like camping barns or yurts or private hostels?

barmouth beach mate, just north of shell island west of dolgellau (i thinK) lovely relaxed (massive) beach, town a bit seasidey but beach is lovely

if you can get across to bala aswell, lovely walk around the lake and surrounding rivers offer plenty of watersports

The Oak woods behind Maentwrog are fantastic, and not many people know about them. Harlech Castle is worth a visit. The Dinorwic slate quarries above Llanberis offer somthing completly different, dispite the warning signs (that everybody ignores) you can explore nearly all the quarry and there are some scary drops and tunnels to find.

... for a few days over this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for stuff to do? We are probably staying around North Wales, Betws y coed, Porthmadog and Caemarfon. There are two Prisoner fans with us so they are looking forward to Porthmadog. We are after some interesting hiking through woodland and coastal rather than just scaling mountains. Weather permitting it would be good to chill out on a scenic beach with some beers and a fire.

Portmeirion is where they filmed 'The Prisoner', not Porthmadog.:001_cool:

Beautiful area, i lived there a while back, can definitely recommend the cycle way from Dolgellau to Barmouth - stunning.

The Rhinogs offer some great walking, I did a fair bit of footpath work on the Roman steps back in the day, nice camp site at the bottom near Cwm Bychan.

The Precipice walk is a good circular (and easy) walk around Dolgellau, with great views of the Mawddach estuary.

Coastal walking is great, but the Lleyn Peninsula really stands out.

That should be more than enough for a few days.:001_smile:

The Dinorwic slate quarries above Llanberis offer somthing completly different, dispite the warning signs (that everybody ignores) you can explore nearly all the quarry and there are some scary drops and tunnels to find.

Well worth exploring the slate quarries. I've rock climbed in them for years, but always seem to find somewhere new and there's an excellent cafe in Llanberis called Pete's Eats.

barmouth hills at the back of the town there is also a walk over the bridge that takes the train over the estuary really nice walk over the estuary woods fields and up into hilly woodland with waterfalls etc already mentioned dolgellau precipice is good really nice views :thumbup:

Aberdaron down on the Llyn Penisula has a lovely beach, great views and a couple of cracking pubs. Accommodation and great food in both.

Glynlliffon on the way to Pwllelli nice woodland and walks- good for a rainy day.

Porth Colmon on the North coast of the Llyn peninsula, lovely beach, great fishing, good campsites (B&Bs there I seem to remember).

Ffestiniog railway pretty cool for a day out, slate museum in LLanberis free, Electric mountain in llanberis interesting.

Spoiled for choice, mate. S'why I lives here.

barmouth beach mate, just north of shell island west of dolgellau (i thinK) lovely relaxed (massive) beach, town a bit seasidey but beach is lovely

There is a whole load of events and activities for Barmouth and along the Mawddach Estuary listed on What's on in and around Dolgellau, Machynlleth, Barmouth and the Mawddach Estuary, Wales

Just got back this afternoon after 2 nights B&B at Taicenhaeaf. We had a great time even though the weather was pretty poor. :001_smile: