pole pruners

pyro

Hey guys and gals,

as part of my job as a groundsman with eryc ive got use of a pole pruner (long reach chainsaw, whatever you want to call em). Now ive been told that i am the only one that can use this because i have cs30, if i remember correctly cs30 doenst cover pole pruners does it? Ive raised this with my boss and ive been told in no uncertain terms that i can use it.

soo, do i need the pole powerd pruner ticket (Cs48?) to use it or does cs30 cover me?

where would i stand with h&s if something happened?

and ive been told to sharpen by eye with no proper files, and use 2 stroke oil for chain oil...

spend 600 quid on a new cutter and attachments, then skimp on a 7 quid sharpening kit. madness.

pyro :thumbup:

Cheers terry nptc assessor!

I thought as much but having got into an arguement with my boss about it im not really willing to bring it up again.

as for using 2 stroke oil as chain oil is that just daft or am i missing somthing?

pyro.

I can sharpen by eye, but Ill freely admit im not massivley experienced doing it, i sharpen my husky when needed (About once a month at the moment with the use its getting).

There is another seasonal worker there, who has his own tree surgery company (strugling a bit with current climate and all that) who has just refused to use it and is advising me not to aswell due to tickets, lack of maintenance equipment along with lack of proper gear.

The arguement started when i asked for a sharpening kit for the pole cutter and I got told off for blunting it... it was used for 4-6 hours on mossy hard wood, I think that is about a normal time for re-sharpening? I actually got shouted at regarding this. Unfortunatly i need the job and the money so im kinda stuck there.

pyro

the CS 48 assessment is in 2 parts

Part 1 is maintenance and if you hold CS 30 you do not get assessed on this part.

So no having 30 does not qualify you other than to maintain it.

The use of a pole saw includes pruning and distances of safe use ect generally a lot of company,s see that having CS 39 which means you would have already got 31 suffices

but it is all about having received training and been able to prove competency there is no where it says it must be NPTC

I know a few firms that justify by experience and in house training but now AFAG 805 has been revised that is now harder to prove

Have a look at the assessment schedule.

If you are competent in it,s use look at just booking an assessment only which should not be expensive as it does not take long and can often be slotted in quite reasonably

Do yourself a favour mate and just use the pole saw. Never had a ticket myself and know I wouldn't last long in any company if realistically if I refused to use one on the grounds that I don't have a ticket. Bit different if I didn't have a climbing ticket or rigging and asked to do a big takedown. Don't do anthing stupid with it and use your common sense. Would you be happy to walk away from the job if it became a bigger issue with your boss?

As for using 2-stroke as chain oil, well that's just plain idiotic, nearly anything else would be better. But if your boss (ie the guy paying for the 2-stroke) wants you to use it then just use it. I'd make sure you heard him right first though, and make sure there's no chain oil available.