stihl ms181 filler cap pain... and ...034av won't idle

kev_s

Has anyone got any ideas on the chain oil filler cap on a 181? I just can't get mine to fit without 10 minutes of pain...

Is this a design fault or is it that my cap is buggered? the lift up "tab" turns insidethe cap and won't lock down.

Trying to shut it last night in the pissing rain, I'm tempted to sell the saw and buy something else...

Also I've got an 034 that won't idle - it runs ok for 5 minutes and then will just die and wont restart.

It works fine when you use it (revs up, loads of power) but as soon as I put it down and it idles for a couple of minutes it just dies.

I've not tried anything yet but I was going to up the idle speed a bit using the LA screw (until the chain runs then back off a quarter turn).

Good, bad or ugly advice welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Kev

Has anyone got any ideas on the chain oil filler cap on a 181? I just can't get mine to fit without 10 minutes of pain...

Is this a design fault or is it that my cap is buggered? the lift up "tab" turns insidethe cap and won't lock down.

Trying to shut it last night in the pissing rain, I'm tempted to sell the saw and buy something else...

Also I've got an 034 that won't idle - it runs ok for 5 minutes and then will just die and wont restart.

It works fine when you use it (revs up, loads of power) but as soon as I put it down and it idles for a couple of minutes it just dies.

I've not tried anything yet but I was going to up the idle speed a bit using the LA screw (until the chain runs then back off a quarter turn).

Good, bad or ugly advice welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Kev

stihl filler caps can be a pain, there is a knack to it u will pick up,

The 034 could me a multitude of problems - I would firstly check the compression or at least remove the muffler and look at the piston to ensure it isn't scored. That out of the way, I would check the breather - simple check is to losen the fuel cap and see if the saw will start. CHeck the impulse line - not sure if it is separate on this model, check the fuel line isn't cracked, check the fuel filter and also give the carb internals a thorough clean and set back to factory setting.

Very difficult to fault find this sort of problem as it can be caused by a number of things - when the saw doesn't start when warm - have you checked the coil for spark? It could also be a coil breaking down!

If you get stuck then I have fixed up saws for other members on the site!

MS181:

Have you always had the problem with the oil cap? and if so have you owned the saw since new?

034av:

Does it only stall out at idle? in other words if you are using it (WOT) it doesn't stall.

What sound does it make before it stalls? does it "load up" and fade to nothing or is it sudden like you used the kill switch?

thanks for the replies....

I don't fill it up (generally only 3/4 full with chain oil), i've had it since new and its always been difficult (the petrol cap isnt)... i've just bought a spare cap to see if that works (only a few quid).

the 034 runs fine but when you finish cutting with it and put it down then it will just cut out after a short while (20 seconds ish), does'nt stall ever when in use. No odd sounds or anything else.... you can hear it slowly "give up" rather than dieing suddenly (like when you hit the kill switch).

Kev

You say that your 034 dies after idling and then won't re-start?

Has it always done this, or has it started doing it? If it has started doing it, was it sudden or gradual (over what period)? Also, does it idle OK when you first start it cold?

It sounds fundamentally like a fuel issue to me - the fact that it won't re-start suggesting flooding rather than lack of fuel. I would check this by letting it die and then pulling out the plug - if it's wet then it's flooded. Also worth noting the colour of the plug as this will indicate whether the carb settings are right under load.

If it's flooded, it suggests too much fuel relative to the amount of air. If it's always done it, carb settings would be my first thought. If it's changed suddenly it could be something in the carb, gradual could be the carb or have you checked the condition of the air filter lately?

If it's not flooding then the failure to re-start would be slightly odd, unless you've got failure to pull fuel through. Most of the causes for too little fuel relative to air go with air leaks somewhere, but they also tend to correspond to rising revs and rapid saw death, so more thought required! The exception would be a bit of dirt in the jet - which may be mobile enough to block it under the low fuel demand conditions. Turning it up would then stop the symptoms, assuming enough fuel gets through, but it wouldn't cure it. I would be slightly surprised though, as I would expect it to start well if this was the cause.

Alec

Edited by agg221

The smaller saws from sthil all have problems with the oil cap mate, there is a knack to it but cant explain it without a demo.

A mate had same problem with a 180 he bought 3 various thinking it was those at fault until I showed him! :biggrin:

just keep trying.

Hi,

Managed to get the 034 working much better and idling perfectly... I just adjusted the idle settings, and within 2 minutes it was running much more "smoothly" while idling and restarted easily when warm.

The replacement cap also seems to be much easier to "lock" down, I spent 10 minutes in the dry trying loads of different ways of putting both old and new on, and it does feel like there was something wrong with the old one.... but maybe thats just me wishful thinking!! I don't think I was lining it up right.

Again thanks for the help.

Kev