Chemicals and reagens

Fungus

A short list of the chemicals and reagens used to identify macrofungi macroscopically.

- KOH (caustic potash) and NaOH (caustic soda) 20 % or 2-5 % : Hapalopilus rutilans, Fomes fomentarius, Corticiaceae, Ramaria species, Cortinarius species, trama of Russula species, milk of Lactarius species.

- H2SO4 60-70 % (sulphur acid) : Ramaria species.

- NH3 25 % (ammonia) : Cortinarius species.

- HNO3 65 % (nitric acid) : Agaricus species.

- C6H5OH 2 % (phenol) : trama of Russula species, milk of Lactarius species.

- FeSO2 (crystal) : trama of Russula species, milk of Lactarius species.

- Guajak tincture : trama of Russula species, milk of Lactarius species.

- Melzers reagens : mostly used microscopically for amyloid reaction of spores of basidiomycetes (Agaricales), for the J+ reaction of asci of operculate ascomycetes, such as Peziza species and for the dextrinoid reaction of spores or hyphae of basidiomycetes (Agaricales).

Who's we ? See : Latin names. So like it or lump it :001_tt2: .

If you read my posts you'll see I am in favour of using latin names.

The above post was my attempt at humour as you have so completely blasted us with scientific names and chemicals that I assume have few if any common ones.

Now you're going to give me the common ones - I can see it coming:001_tt2:

And then there is the traditional "striking of a match" test for Ganoderma pfeifferi, which sparkles with tiny flames from the yellow crust underneath the reddish surface like a crushed orange peel does too, and for Fomitopsis pinicola with melting and blackening of the resin in the surface crust when touched by the match's flame.

in favour of using latin names. The above post was my attempt at humour as you have so completely blasted us with scientific names and chemicals that I assume have few if any common ones.

So how about this for a bit of Dutch humour on the subject then :laugh1: ?