Stump grinding prep

RobRainford

Does anyone use a CAT scanner to avoid cables when stump grinding?

We bought this up after this happened and thought for the price of a 200 something pound scanner we wouldnt have all this ball ache and was agreed to get one yet were still waiting and have ground out plenty since. Personally I think all stumps should be scanned.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone use a CAT scanner to avoid cables when stump grinding?

we occasionally use one if we suspect something

Plug Genny into house mains and search for signal.

Doesn't help with gas or plastic water though.

I can only believe that almost everyone goes through a cable at some time= scary- we've yet to do it- well stumpgrinding that is. Been through a couple with other machines.

Is this customers 'duty of care'

A tricky one for sure

We asked just before we started if there was anything underground particually electric he said no. Then after he came out with plans of all electric services and there was nothing on there either. Ill ask to see what happened with it all in the end.

We asked just before we started if there was anything underground particually electric he said no. Then after he came out with plans of all electric services and there was nothing on there either. Ill ask to see what happened with it all in the end.

I'd appreciate that.

When we go through cables, we pay but it's never happened where we have asked the customer- usually they haven't a clue(on purpose!)

by we do you mean insurance paid or you? how do you stand on insurance in this case without scanning?

By we I Me we

Didn't involve insurance

Fortunately got cAT ticket a few years back

There were quite a few cable company guys on the course

It's scary whats down there that you can't trace- pot ends were untraceable - this may now be possible with the new stuff now out there- I don't know

Ignorance is scary

I ask if there's anything, customer usually have an idea if there is but you never know, next job ive got coming up they have had a dig themselves already! Makes for easy peasy grinding for that one!

I've been doing a lot of grinding recently, seems to be quite popular!

I have sold my stumpgrinders as I find it too much hassle for not enough cash. The last straw Was grinding a conni stump out to find a yellow gas pipe through the middle of the stump!! Customer said " oh I forgot to tell you that there was a gas pipe there" the pipe was only 4" down. I am now fighting national grid over the 500 quid bill. I will not be paying!