Imported Hardwood Firewood

gilmour mckellar

If I am wrong I would be glad to hear it. But I dont get 42 cubic metres out of 17 tonnes. Does anyone get 65 tonne bags out of an arctic ? . I notice the document almost condones burning peat or coal to help wet logs which I thought produced sulphur.

You could well be right, I am new to all this, and as I say, I have never tested it out. Yet!

Surely weight is irrevalant though.?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at that link again, it would tally more with Alycidon's theory.

(I could be all wrong here!)

Loose M3 has 45% timber, stacked M3 has 75% timber, so there is 30% more timber in the stacked M3.

Therefore, a stacked 2m3 crate will give approx 2.6 m3 of 'thrown' wood. :confused1:

Scroll down to the bottom page here...

http://www.seai.ie/Renewables/Bioenergy/Wood_Energy/Coford_wood_energy_information_notes/Firewood.pdf

'For example, in Figure 4 the pieces of

wood are placed loosely in the box, so the box contains only

45% wood and the rest is air. If the wood was stacked neatly

in rows, the pile would contain between 75 and 80% wood,

as shown in Figure 5.'

I think there is alot of variables in the thrown idea ie large sticks in a small box. 10" logs in a metre bag settle and lock down well hard to see them swelling 2.5 times but you could be right.

I think there is alot of variables in the thrown idea ie large sticks in a small box. 10" logs in a metre bag settle and lock down well hard to see them swelling 2.5 times but you could be right.

I'm not saying that. Jayvee reckoned they would increase by 1.63 times.

Judging by the other link I think it would be closer to 1.3 times.

18.5 tonnes of split 8inch long logs is equivelent to 45 m3. The logs were at around 35%mc, obviously the wetter the log the less you get.

I will be testing how many loose m3 bags a perfectly stacked 2m3 crate of kiln dried Ash makes next week. I am also going to see how many builders bags the same quantity makes.

Instead of moaning about the competition selling builders bags of logs why not work out how many logs it takes to fill one, work out your price and try offering the same product along side your m3 bags. This way you can compete on a level playing field with those around you and then you can educate your clients into buying the m3 bags.

'Builders bags' or 'maxi bags' in my case are also a good way of making a premium product appear cheaper... its just about how you market them.

You could well be right, I am new to all this, and as I say, I have never tested it out. Yet!

Surely weight is irrevalant though.?

Weight is relevant because this is how most comercial suppliers sell thier product. It is recognised that arctic bulk tippers are around 60m3 but how do you know that its full. There will also be ALOT of settling as the product is transported.

I understand that weight of logs is dependant on the products MC.

18.5 tonnes of split 8inch long logs is equivelent to 45 m3. The logs were at around 35%mc, obviously the wetter the log the less you get.

I will be testing how many loose m3 bags a perfectly stacked 2m3 crate of kiln dried Ash makes next week. I am also going to see how many builders bags the same quantity makes.

Instead of moaning about the competition selling builders bags of logs why not work out how many logs it takes to fill one, work out your price and try offering the same product along side your m3 bags. This way you can compete on a level playing field with those around you and then you can educate your clients into buying the m3 bags.

'Builders bags' or 'maxi bags' in my case are also a good way of making a premium product appear cheaper... its just about how you market them.

45 bags seems alot but if it was 35% then you will get more volume for your tonne. Was it softwood

I'll be very interested in seeing the results. :thumbup1:

I agree totally about the bag sizes. Rather than trying to convince them that a M3 bag is much bigger (sometimes twice the capacity) than a 'builders bag', just give them a builders bag!

Seems to me, the smaller the bag the more profit anyway.

When you do the test please advise the size of builders bag you are using, there are two sizes, .6cu m. this is I think designed to fir a Europallet and around .7 cu meter. The idea of offering them alongside your cu m bags and bulk is sound.

A