Getting started

Gravityalwayswins

Going to begin asking around local tree surgeons to see if any have any work available, would anybody be able to give any advice on how to go about it?

I do have my own chainsaws, full PPE and the use of a vehicle, doing my CS-30 / 31 next in a fortnight and plan on getting more tickets like chipper, trailer ect until i get a job, hopefully increasing my chances with each certificate, is this a good idea or am I just throwing money away when i could do the courses later on for less?

another question is about the application, is a full CV a bit of a put off for a busy tree surgeon and would rather have a shorted to the point application? or would a very clear bullet pointed CV work just as well?

any advice would be appretiated, thanks!!!

It seems to be a pattern of very keen young guys putting on posts for advise wanting to come into arb work, that don't know how to cross the threshold from years of school/college culture into the world of real work.

I always tried to get a working interview and grafted my spuds off and a cv at the end of the day.

The amount of cv's I sent out first and followed up with a phone call ,most of them said they haven't had the time to read as to busy.

But when I mentioned a few days free graft it all changed.

Sent from my HTC using tapatalk

Personally, a brief, to the point CV would be enough, I dont want to trawl through 100 CVs which are full life stories.

What would you look for in a CV? and what are your veiws on more of a working interveiw, like a trial day?

shame I dont live nearer or you would have a new short and snappy CV on your doorstep!!

Hi there getting those 2 tickets will help y in a big way at getting your foot in the door with a company as most like you to have those tickets to sta with As it's showes a basic level of competance .

Best way in is to get the yellow pages and ring every company in the book that you would be prepaired to travle too, to see if they have any work . Long cvs don't help so much , companys will get y to do what's known as a trile day or 2 . This is the best cv and if they like you then more work will come your way from them. Allways be honest with them about what experance y have, no more no less , what you tell them is what they will expect from you when you start work . Most companys it will be on an as and when basis to start with , you may need to do this for several companys but you will get more work if they like your work and what you can do .

If you own your own saw then use it at every possible oppotunity as like driving a car it takes a good while to become good at handling it and using it in the most effective way . Do little jobs for all your friends and family and let

everyone know what you do , the more people you talk to the more will come

your way . When I First started out I did a bit of volenantry work in a forest and this helped me no end as it gave me many hours working my saw , this really paid off as when it came to my first paid employment

If you really want to go for this, be really determined , love the work you do give every opputunity You get 200 % effort Dont give up . I started from the beggining and worked my sox from my first phone calls going through the yellow pages trying to get my first foot in the door to now where my phone just keeps ringing with people wanting work doing. it's the best job in the world and I have never looked back .

Good luck and all the best

littletree :thumbup:

Good luck invest as much as you can afford into a sound career base tickets qualification gear, thats where I went wrong, lots of experence, not much else in my bag. my resume dos'nt look so smart 10 years later. only 4 years spent in my career.

my biggest mistake was being too arrogant, I made it clear that the only work I enjoyed was the climbing and groundy jobs. that anoyed a few boss's, and I lost work with one fantastic company because of it, many regrets, although I was fully willing to do what I called gardeners work,I was'nt able to pretend I enjoyed it.

I rang every one in the Yellow pages in norfolk, and talked to them on the phone, I kept a note book of all the people I talked to and what they had said or offered, and I sent CV's out, of the 5 who gave me a chance, 1 of them wanted a CV and 1 of them wanted an informal interview, so talk to people, call them back, make them rember who you are.

College is a great place to get useful contacts when your doing your tickets.

Good Luck.