Oak Myco associations

David Humphries

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but as Gerrit says, it is limited to sycamore, which apart from fagus is the most common ground for polymorpha in the u.k too IME.:thumbup1:

the two common names give away some morphological clues, the dead mans fingers, and the fingers of his unfortunate moll, the mans fingers being more robust than the unfortunate and delicate ladies (molls fingers) 2nd image.

59765d5fba01e_mycota(31).jpg.2dc821bf72d0a6a942601fae6dcc508d.jpg

59765d5fbcc91_X.polymorpha(16).jpg.b88f6443b3ef36deb125f6a481bae900.jpg

sorry but as Gerrit says, it is limited to sycamore, which apart from fagus is the most common ground for polymorpha in the u.k too IME.:thumbup1:

the two common names give away some morphological clues, the dead mans fingers, and the fingers of his unfortunate moll, the mans fingers being more robust than the unfortunate and delicate ladies (molls fingers) 2nd image.

[ATTACH]70951[/ATTACH][ATTACH]70950[/ATTACH]

Check out Michael Jordan p 77

Are we saying his pictures & description of hosting on syc & "other" broadleaef trees, as being completely wrong ???

Check out Michael Jordan p 77

Are we saying his pictures & description of hosting on syc & "other" broadleaef trees, as being completely wrong ???

you know what I think, even with his book yours are polymorpha, and you can bank that 100% and I dont do 100% often these days as you know!

you know what I think, even with his book yours are polymorpha, and you can bank that 100% and I dont do 100% often these days as you know!

Not convinced at all.

Xylaria longipes Nitschke, 1867 (Dead Moll's Fingers)

oak, ash, elm, alnus, etc etc etc ...........

British Fungi - record details

Your going to tell me you're right & all these people are wrong ?

Check out Michael Jordan p 77 Are we saying his pictures & description of hosting on syc & "other" broadleaef trees, as being completely wrong ???

Just as is the case with the 100 % certain identification of Ganoderma lipsiense and G. australe, which only is valid after checking the spore size, the 100 % identification of either Xylaria longipes or X. polymorpha can only be done by using the microscope and not by evaluating it's macroscopical morphology.

So yes, X. longipes is sometimes found on other substrates then Acer, but how many of these identifications are valid, because they have been checked microscopically and how many are false, because the observer thought, he could distinguish X. longipes from X. polymorpha by its morphological characteristics ? For example : I documented X. polymorpha 7 times from Acer, but only after I checked the material microscopically, because from its macroscopical properties I could not determine whether it was X. longipes or X. polymorpha.

And the same goes for many other species with look-a-likes, which only can be identified by their microscopical features. I once checked 50 herbarium collections of K. deusta, with the result, that 8 of them were of 3 other (saprotrophic) species. So then one starts wondering what happened to the trees they were collected from.