Not strictly tree related but countryside related

Matthew Arnold

Not the best start to the working week. Was on route toour top depot when i noticed we had a very soft trailer tyre with a black sidewall. Just as well i spotted it out it would have been rather messy when it let go on the way to Yeovil with a tractor on the trailer as well.

002.jpg.be89d7e04397234d0a35ed59d20ae7eb.jpg

001.jpg.6ac530b1a3d365b6cce108f9abfd74f0.jpg

Edited by Matthew Arnold

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats bad been doing some bad paths but not as bad as that one this year.

i get the ones county will not touch as can not get there flail mower down as stiles and kissing gates in way. i do not mind being paid by the hour. so off i go with walk behind say no more about that thing its going back monday and they can fix it properly not put a big belt on and it stalls engine. as they can not find fault. good job cow horn saves the day. just plod on and strim away much quicker in end.

thats bad been doing some bad paths but not as bad as that one this year.

i get the ones county will not touch as can not get there flail mower down as stiles and kissing gates in way. i do not mind being paid by the hour. so off i go with walk behind say no more about that thing its going back monday and they can fix it properly not put a big belt on and it stalls engine. as they can not find fault. good job cow horn saves the day. just plod on and strim away much quicker in end.

Your mower sounds like our normally reliable BCS flail. We picked it up yesterday morning but dropped it off at end of play as it dropped a bearing on the flail roller. No warning just a shed load of vibration which killed the motor. It originally went in for a broken clutch cable and excessive play on the centre coupling (which was foobared completely).

Edited by Matthew Arnold

for a bcs thats not the norm normaly very reliable and strong. if you do not get it working properly get hold of trackmaster burgess hill they will get it fixed.

Trouble is its a 9 year old machine so the majority of the parts have changed. Its a pain as the older parts are becoming more and more difficult to find now. May bite the bullet and buy a new one.:thumbup:

Our apprentice finished today. He starts his new job on Monday as a Parish Lengthsman (general maintenance person) in a town about 20 minutes away from our base. Forgot to take pictures of the morning job. Felling 14 small Ash and clearing up a flytip of leylandii. The afternoon job was good fun. We had 2 massive willow stumps lodged in a load of large ash stumps. We used our ranger to wrench them out. The first one came out without a fight. The second one required some revs and wheel spinning to get him out.

hi matt just saw thread is he going full time as parish lengthman those jobs rare as hens teeth only one in hampshire waiting for job to come up bob and no spring to mind

hi matt just saw thread is he going full time as parish lengthman those jobs rare as hens teeth only one in hampshire waiting for job to come up bob and no spring to mind

He was but lasted about 3 months before he found the job wasn't what he was looking for n left. There is now an older gent doing the same job but as a standard lengthman.

what is his job then is he just doing the one village. i know the one in hampshire that is a big parish so needs a full time person to keep up with all the work. the ones i do range from a few hundred houses up to villages with a lot of area. and i could be kept busy in 3 of them all the time.

have to say starting to get extra work from the bigger parishes on a private job basis. which is good. come winter the little parishes struggle to find work for the hours allocated.

what is his job then is he just doing the one village. i know the one in hampshire that is a big parish so needs a full time person to keep up with all the work. the ones i do range from a few hundred houses up to villages with a lot of area. and i could be kept busy in 3 of them all the time.

have to say starting to get extra work from the bigger parishes on a private job basis. which is good. come winter the little parishes struggle to find work for the hours allocated.

He worked for a town parish which encompassed 4 villages as well. His job was to keep the rights of way clear and to inform us of problems with the infrastructure. He didn't do that annoyingly and moaned when he was dragged in to plant pansies in the borders.:lol: