A simple solution to Planning and Trees?

Given the workload to T/O's and Planning Depts country-wide, and the cut-backs that LPA's and councils are suffering, I got to thinking that would it be a good idea for changes to the system?

Instead of the present system of laboriously submitting notifications and applications for every single job in your area (where applicable), and waiting the required period of time for the LPA to get back to you, would it not make more sense for the contractor to hold a LPA licence to operate. This could be held on a limited period, say 3-5 years, with the risk of it being revoked for breaches of Planning regulations. I think this system would remove the need for a lot of the menial applications/notifications, and the good judgement of professionals who know their areas as well if not better than the LPA's, and lets face it most of us have a better understanding of trees, and clients needs. Of course, the T/o would still have a role of monitoring contractors, answering our queries, and dealing with the larger jobs.

As a licenced contractor, this would show a higher level of professionalism to clients, the LPA would know (and check) our criteria, and ensure that all tree works meet BS requirements. What do we have to lose/gain, what do the LPA have to lose/gain, is it even a feasible idea?

I have just been threatened with legal action by a client because of my LA

I submitted a Tree Works application to fell 100 trees (leylandii) with a temp TPO on them, in the time between the enquiry and the app being submitted the TPO expired because the LA are run off their feet and obviously put it to one side to do later.

My application then prompted them to renew the tpo and now I am getting blamed because the owner of the trees is now saying he could have felled them in the time inbetween

Trouble just follows me :confused1:

So, as a Licenced Contractor, you would have checked with the LPA, seen the temp TPO had expired, and gone in and felled them. The client would be happy, the LPA wouldnt have a backlog that they cant handle, job done and dusted and world would be minus a few snotty connies. Win, win.

So, as a Licenced Contractor, you would have checked with the LPA, seen the temp TPO had expired, and gone in and felled them. The client would be happy, the LPA wouldnt have a backlog that they cant handle, job done and dusted and world would be minus a few snotty connies. Win, win.

But the fact that the LA did in the end confirm the TPO means that they always intended to do so.

If you as a 'licensed contractor' went and felled the trees after the initial order has expired, you would be correct in the eyes of the law but working against the end desire of the LA. This is why I don't believe a LA would consider such an scheme.

Nice idea though Andy!

But the fact that the LA did in the end confirm the TPO means that they always intended to do so.

If you as a 'licensed contractor' went and felled the trees after the initial order has expired, you would be correct in the eyes of the law but working against the end desire of the LA. This is why I don't believe a LA would consider such an scheme.

Nice idea though Andy!

Quite, can't see LA's happy with contractors running around applying the regulations to suit themselves!

Interesting Suggestion. With cut backs also affecting permit approval here as well I believe if something like this was suggested to out local county officials they would complain and say we don't have enough staff or we need to do a study or nice idea will get back to you. All Three answers are more than likely what would happen. I know they don't make any sense, most people in government check in sense much less Common sense shortly after they start working for the Government. Keep trying.

elg

Quite, can't see LA's happy with contractors running around applying the regulations to suit themselves!

But if the "Licenced Contractor" had to adhere to strict rules and guidelines, as per the "Blue Book", coordinate with LPA's etc etc or suffer revocation of his licence, surely it would make for (on the whole) a smoother process, and maybe even higher standards than are out there at present. Another plus, IMO, of this scheme, is the fact that it is an LPA licence, which means any domestic client could check your criteria with the Local Authority, thus making things harder for the cowboy fraternity to operate. Something many have cried out for over the years. Very few domestic clients have heard of the AAAC scheme, but they all have dealings with their local authorities.