do you really want the money?

Joy Yeomans

imo, it doesnt matter whats on the side of your truck or vans... a jobs a job and that price has to be paid.

if they dont have the money in the house to pay you (take a cheque) and if all fails after that ....claims court...

what are they after? discount for the wood thats been took away?

stand your ground...

take a cheque and run..

best of luck:thumbup1:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The value of the wood is the reason you gave them such a good deal on the price. So if they own you £1K and they see the wood as beign worth £1K then you say, yes it is worth that much and the job is £2k please, 1 from you and 1 from the wood.

So if they wanted the wood (unsplit) you would have done the job for £1500.

I know its not as simple as that, but when customers moan to me that I have wood to sell, I agree with them and say I have to sell it to make up the extra needed to pay for the job, and that they are lucky it wasn't willow/poplar/leylandii or else they would have been faced with a double size bill removal of "waste".

So, what I'm getting at is this, it better to agree with them rather than trying to explain your self and your business costs etc. which will all go over their heads as they are not livign on the same planet as the rest of us.

Yes, the wood is worth plenty thanks, thats why you bill is so low and discounted, your very lucky, now pay up.

what are they after? discount for the wood thats been took away?

stand your ground...

take a cheque and run..

best of luck:thumbup1:

Yes thats exactly what they want, so they need it explained that the discount is already in the bargain price they are being charged.

Yes thats exactly what they want, so they need it explained that the discount is already in the bargain price they are being charged.

:lol:lol: next people will be wanting discount on the woodchip... if they knew the ins and outs of it?????????????????:sneaky2:

stand your ground.. cash or cheque please

:lol:lol: next people will be wanting discount on the woodchip... if they knew the ins and outs of it?????????????????:sneaky2:

stand your ground.. cash or cheque please

Yes they do that already. They ask what I do with the woodchip and if its worth anything. I say yes it is and you see the thought process going through their heads!

These converstaions usually only happen when you have had to quote the lowest to get the work, so if they think you are selling woodchip then thats fine, the other companies were the ones that didn't offer the discount, and thats why your standing on their drive having the conversation.

Dont take it personally, you have to win the jobs in order to be in the position of being abused by the client!!

I dont think advertising firewood on the van is a mistake, after all you got to try and sell it. If the customer uses that as an excuse then tell them how much its worth minus time taken processing it and delivering it. Then smash his face in with one of the logs!!!! grrrr sorry but this thread gets me angry.

discounts are really ment for multi buys or jobs... not for an emergancy job.....

the only discount i do is for the above mentioned...

i wonder how many folk have asked there council in a reduced rate in there council tax, for the council selling your rubbish out of your recycled bin?????? (none) :confused1:

joy best of luck, youve prob saved there house/kids and other cars from being flattrened...

now this is why i dont do domestic costumers any more...

comercial contracts is all i do.... written and signed so you know where to stand... no come backs, waiting on cheques etc..

joy do a nice clean job and they cant beat you down any more..

I dont think advertising firewood on the van is a mistake, after all you got to try and sell it. If the customer uses that as an excuse then tell them how much its worth minus time taken processing it and delivering it. Then smash his face in with one of the logs!!!! grrrr sorry but this thread gets me angry.

like it:lol:

I agree its not a discount, but that is a word they might understand. So the price for the job includes the discount for the wood. In reality the price for the job is the price for the job, simple as that, pay up. but in order to get through to some people you have to speak in their language, thats why I say explaining business costs is a complete waste of time.

I once threatened a customer with court action over a bill for £35, he laughed in my face. He wasn't laughing when he got a letter to tell him the date of the said action. I got a cheque the very next day. If they don't pay, tell them want you intend to do and do it, fairly sure you will be paid pretty quick.

:dito:

Also mention that you recorded their verbal acceptance of the quote, as its your standard operating procedure.

Might help if you have small camera like a Muvi pinned to your shirt