Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

Hmmm that'll hasten the hollowing all right. If it fits species location why not?

The fractured stem looks like the hand of the peaceful chief of a tribe one happens upon. :proud:

I've heard it called a lot of things in the past, but thats a new one :biggrin:

Habitatagogo is the driving force on this one.

Location would of been more comfortable a couple more meters away from the highway, but we've left plenty of weight toward the falling side of the tree to counter the balance positively.

Opinions on this one...

Large mature beech, lots of crown die back, riddled with ganoderma in most of the buttress roots, party of the back aside of the trees stem is "spongy" to 2m, within falling distance of a school boundary line and b&b car park but on the inside edge of mini woodland setting in a large park, daldinia, pluerotus, auricularia and possibly honey (not confirmed) present too.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

uploadfromtaptalk1349384904590.jpg.2c23dca9ab7100663f757e011e9b9bd5.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1349384892424.jpg.ed36fee6b00a9b9b58e1113ea446c799.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1349384881659.jpg.7ccfa332a5bb7f506423149355c32490.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1349384817943.jpg.295ad2c3e414e7066132953e9c611699.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1349384794127.jpg.b1868cbe6b2a18cd0d8dc6fc9c79dace.jpg

Are there any other large habitat trees in the immediate vicinity Rob ?

If so, perhaps it's time to remove the risk of failure of this beech completely.

If not, I'd been inclined to go along with the emphasis of Guys opinion.

Small honey coloured mushrooms in the last shot look like Coprinus species to me, perhaps C. micaceus

Thanks for the opinions David and Guy. Yes David there is another beech tree next to the other one that in my opinion needs habitating as its in a worse state (is not as big, see pic)

Will try to set some wheels in motion.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

uploadfromtaptalk1349415807994.jpg.0de79039e8b9de907c0d78db4b44452d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

this should be or interest to those following this tread, there is a free conferance in italy, Pro Arbora - per la valorizzazione e la tutela degli alberi monumentali might want to get an arbtalk road trip going on, about a good days drive once your across the channel, there is english translation avaibel, which you have to pay for, but it looks a great program,

Edited by Craig Johnson

this should be or interest to those following this tread, there is a free conferance in italy, Pro Arbora - per la valorizzazione e la tutela degli alberi monumentali might want to get an arbtalk road trip going on, about a good days drive once your across the channel, there is english translation avaibel, which you have to pay for, but it looks a great program,

Good link Craig :thumbup1:

Was talking about this yesterday, would really like to go.

Think its just outside of Rome.