Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

What type of Bracing was considered? One type would have called for two (2) holes 1/4" each, and a nearly invisible 3/16" cable.

I like your use of the calipers measuring system, and wonder whether the decision to use a dynamic system was informed by BS3998.

What type of Bracing was considered? One type would have called for two (2) holes 1/4" each, and a nearly invisible 3/16" cable.

I like your use of the calipers measuring system, and wonder whether the decision to use a dynamic system was informed by BS3998.

To be honest Guy, it's what we had at hand at the time, left over from a couple of previous bracing jobs. There was literally just enough to reach and cover the two spans.

As the tree had already failed the system put in place is a tether to restrict further delamination. I prefer dynamic systems as it still allows natural movement whilst slowing down oscillation.

The aesthetics of it on this particular tree were of little concern as the tree is really only seen from across the water (sunny side) and not from the back where the shots of the bracing are taken from.

As you know BS3998 is informative but brief in touching on restraint systems at the back of the document.

So our decisions on type of system to use are based on comparing the standards out there including our own and the ZTV Tree Care Standard (2006 update) & also our experience in what we see out there and who we talk to within the industry both here and further afield :wink:

Wonderful job making stills into a 'vid'. Music was a good choice, with the theme of emptiness.

how are the surrounding trees being managed? Over here one argument against monolithing is the loss of canopy benefits. Is there a way to have the canopy cake and leave the habitat as well?

Obsessive coronetteer :) I kind of like the curving downward dribbling style; looks very natural like a larva mining...there will be a public place in the US for this somewhere someday.

Is there a way to have the canopy cake and leave the habitat as well?

Not done it myself, but perhaps strapping cut material into the inner crown, kind of like holding onto a heavy weight close to your centre of mass rather than at arms length? Perhaps to keep live pathways (and now I'm just making something up on the spot) for a longer period, and this would really depend on how strong you are, shove a cut on underside of a branch and fold it up and over so the branch ends/foliage is relocated closer to the main stem. Again, strap it in for stability. Would be easier though to put cut in top, let it fold down then winch the branch ends in and up (rather than up and over). It would probably look horrific and christ knows what circumstances you would do it in. Benefit would be retention of some foliage over a longer period of time while keeping larger diameter wood within the crown. Some fairly large surface area wounds too. I've not even been drinking and this feels like the ramblings of a litre of Malibu and umbongo.

Great video, very interesting work, the industry (or society) is obviously advanced in the UK compared to elsewhere. Here in N.Z there would be (almost) no market for such work, hazardous trees are removed and I think people might consider a dead tree left as a monolith:

a) an eyesore

b) a waste of potential firewood!

I have to admit I've seen them done on here a few times and had mixed feelings, but after seeing this one, a while down the track I'm pretty convinced. Would be great to do one but I can't see anyone paying me for it.

how are the surrounding trees being managed?

In terms of additional exposure?

Nothing, as they're facing the prevailing wind and have woodland at their backs.

Over here one argument against monolithing is the loss of canopy benefits. Is there a way to have the canopy cake and leave the habitat as well?

I've just submitted an article to the AA mag that focuses on maintaining Standing Dead Trees. Key to the decision as to how much dead/declining canopy can be left, is going to be target led to a greater extent.

Existing habitat can be detached & resurected in to surrounding trees to maintain it as such.

Adams idea sounds.........interesting :thumbup:

IMG_7335.jpg.21d370623c779e20b48aa495da86e42f.jpg

IMG_7336.jpg.f24a77587ef1eb009216014dc9886c2e.jpg

IMG_7325.JPG.184f0ca224c3fbd63505276ddc9217a7.JPG

Great video, very interesting work, the industry (or society) is obviously advanced in the UK compared to elsewhere. Here in N.Z there would be (almost) no market for such work, hazardous trees are removed and I think people might consider a dead tree left as a monolith:

a) an eyesore

b) a waste of potential firewood!

I have to admit I've seen them done on here a few times and had mixed feelings, but after seeing this one, a while down the track I'm pretty convinced. Would be great to do one but I can't see anyone paying me for it.

Thanks Fred, glad you found it of some interest.

where we are, people do find this type of management an eyesore but there is also a trust that we are managing the site for more than just aesthetics.

regards

David