Tight as it gets

baz

I had a conversation with someone I've know for years in the pub last night. He has just bought in a load of safety logs of the pine variety and isn't happy. He said if I could match the £20/m3 that he bought that load for he'd buy my super dry and clean hardwood logs that I retail at £80/m3.

I laughed for a good 10 minutes on that one, almost spilled my beer. I did console him that £20/m3 was very cheap, all he has to do is store it for a couple of years and it'll be fine. I can't believe people are delivering for £40 a tipper load, hardly worth the diesel let alone the wood.

we have a guy round us who sells "bulk bags" for £25-00.

one of my regular customers collered me in our local asking why mine were so expensive.

"you get the wood for nowt anyway"

two weeks later the same chap was back ordering another cube, when i asked him why

turns out the "bulk bag" was nowhere near full, and what there was in there was crap

turns out he does get his wood for nowt, pays a couple of d%$k heads off the estate a tenner a day to cut em up.

still only making £15 to advertise and deliver !!!!!!!!!

There will allways be someone who will be selling cheap logs and there will always be customers who want to buy the cheapest logs. I sell my logs for £80 for approx 1.5 m3, alot of people who phone don't even know what an m3 is!!, I then explain it's roughly 3 bulk builders bags approx, then you get "so 3 tonne for £80 the old guy who used to bring them charged £45 a tonne?". I then say get them of him then, they usually come back with" oh he

Has stopped doing them now or he has put his prices up!"

It is just human nature to get the cheapest deal we can for anything.

I'm of the opinion after 10 years doing this that it's better to let them get on with it!

Apparently was no better 30 odd year back hodge according to grandmother. As in most cases it is indeed human nature to find biggest load for cheapest Price.Hhowever it only takes them to buy one sodden load that won't stay lit of the cheaper guy. And they will be calling.Sod playing price wars let them work themselves out the market.There are folk I know filling ifor twin axles for 30 quid,but Its wet poor stuff.

It'd save me fuel and wear and tear on the saws and sawbench.I did that last year with some wet as sin bulk bags that went real cheap,Put the sucker out of business haha he couldn't get any wood the year after.

It'd save me fuel and wear and tear on the saws and sawbench.I did that last year with some wet as sin bulk bags that went real cheap,Put the sucker out of business haha he couldn't get any wood the year after.

Isn't there an anti competitive law against that kind of activity :biggrin:

Isn't there an anti competitive law against that kind of activity :biggrin:

Nope,well at least not as far as I'm aware. He sold them his loss lol.Should have done his market research and got som business savvy before jumping on my turf haha.

Had a visit from Mr. Tight today and he has placed an order for 2m3 to deliver next Saturday. At full price too, £60m3 above what he said he was paying. Was he lying or do miracles really happen. I'm still giggling either way.

It is just human nature to get the cheapest deal we can for anything.

I'm of the opinion after 10 years doing this that it's better to let them get on with it!

i thought you were still on for the council 10 years ago?