two bad days in the rain :-(

Mr. Bish

Well yesterday I was working on day rate clearing a line of tall forest type sycamores and ash.

Had two trees down and dealt with fine by 4:00 but that left a very long and thin ash exposed to the wind.....

Like a good lumber worker I decided that for the safety of the homeowner (She's very pretty):001_tt1: I would tidy that one away. I figured that it was an easy enough straight fell but I'd put a rope up anyway as the drop zone was a bit on the tight side and there was a bit of a sail in the top.

All was going fine, back cut was going in at about 4:10 and I figured I'd be tidied and away by 5:00..................................................................

I have no idea what happened... but it ended up about 10 degrees off drop zone hanging up right in the centre of a 60 ft conifer :sad:

The next blooper was deciding that instead of going up the conifer to sort it out I would try and pull it out with the rope and truck. snaping the weakest side of the conifer....

Rain was pelting... ropes were straining... groundie was shouting.... engine was working... I looked in the mirror and saw the tree moveing... Smileing to myself I thaught YAY.. situation rescued.... Got out of truck smileing only to see a great big conifer root ball facing me:scared1:

So I sat down in the rain. 4:45 looking at an almighty mess of conifer and ash criss crossed with bits snaped and my rope messed up in the middle of it all.

Big sigh and made it home just before dark.

Now if that wasnt bad enough..

Today I felled the trunk of a conifer with a few whispy long limbs left up top. All was going well until the tree started moving down. Again it was roped but somehow it twisted about 15 degrees again and the wispy bits managed to cause a shed load of damage to the customers sons car:sneaky2:

Something has gone wrong with my felling cuts. I think I have been getting too overconfident.

Thankfully the car was about to be written off for a small dent and the guy was cool. I said I'd help him get it taken to the scrappers for him being so honest with me. I was expecting the owner of the car to try and fleece me for all he was worth.

I guess I will have to go back to basics and slow down my cutting a bit.

I have photos of the yesterdays stuff up but couldn't face taking pictures of todays. Will post them later when I can drag my warm dry butt to the car to get camera.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fairplay for sharing your fcukup's with us.

imo a tall wispy woodland ash like that is always capable of surprising you..to get it out of the conifer could you have put a large open face and back cut 10ft or so from the stump, attach a rope just above and split the ash in half...trying to pull it out of the tree with the rope so high puts more pressure on the conifer.

The wood and root ball looks small for a 60ft conifier.

Alright It's like the fish that got away. Probably nearer 40 ft... mabie smaller. I was sure it was bigger tan it looks :-)

It was already cut very high at the stump and yes in hindsight there are loads of alternatives that all would have worked better but I was knackered and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

oopskx4.jpg

You might be what is termed as "Accident Prone" Mr Bish :scared1:

Did it not occur to you to just have the car moved :001_smile:

It would have done if I had spotted it hideing behind the laurell bush that my tree homed in on. I think it's just trying too hard to be fast in the rain towards the end of the day. I should take a step back more often and just chill a bit.

No the rope was initially about where my arrow is. I have moved it over and anchored it to a big tree. Then I pulled with the truck having the rope go around a pulley at the anchor (If that makes sence)

Alright It's like the fish that got away. Probably nearer 40 ft... mabie smaller. I was sure it was bigger tan it looks :-)

It was already cut very high at the stump and yes in hindsight there are loads of alternatives that all would have worked better but I was knackered and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

/oopskx4.jpg[/img]

cutting high is where you lost it mr bish,respect for your honesty though