Mesh Visors question + log splitter advice

georgejones

My visor allows small stuff through.

My Stihl helmet is fitted with a steel mesh visor that has 130 rectangular holes per square inch. Unfortunately this helmet does not give me enough protection. Occasionally (and once is one time too many!) a very small particle will get in (either through the mesh or around the sides or top - I can't tell which) and the first I know about it is when something is in my eye. Not good. I think it happens when I raise the saw above shoulder height. I know, one isn't supposed to do that, but I don't suppose I'm alone in that. Clearing woodland and pruning trees doesn't help.

I would like to purchase a proper arborist helmet as this might offer better protection. However, I have been unable to find any information about the mesh size of visors in arborist helmets. The various suppliers seem to keep this secret. Can anyone please recommend a good arborist helmet with chin straps, close fitting visor and a mesh which is less than 130 per square inch?

Hope somebody can help,

Thanks,

George

ps. I'm very pleased with my Forest Master 17 ton log splitter, so thanks everyone for your advice. It goes through knotty stuff really well, so it just suits me. If anyone else wants to know about the cycle time, as I did, it's worth noting that the manufacturer's figure is based on the ram going full cycle, from one end to the other, and back again. It isn't necessary to use the machine like that because, due to the configuration of the controls, you can easily shorten the cycle by stopping the ram in any position. The advertisers have forgotten to mention that! This means that you can reduce the cycle to as little as 5 secs when handling shorter stuff. Given that knowledge, I would have purchased the 22 ton model which is twice the weight but apparently slower. The newer 20 ton model works in both directions and the manufacturers claim a 13 sec cycle, which seems a good idea, because it is the ram returning which wastes most time. But you would have logs falling off at both ends which could be a bit of a mess. Another way to speed things up is to use a 4-way splitter axe head. I made one to suit the machine and it works just fine.

If anyone wants to try my machine, just get in touch.

George

George, unfortunately any mesh visor will let some particles through which is why in NZ several companies insist you wear safety glasses underneath. Some helmets do have a clear screen instead of a visor but from the info I have gleaned these tend to fog up or scratch. The same with the glasses that are worn underneath a normal visor. Most of the complaints this side of the world are that it is almost as dangerous to not be able to see what and where you are cutting as not having sufficient eye protection. It seems most companies here now do insist you wear secondary and primary eye protection and tough titty if they fog up, you just have to remove them and clean them before carrying on with your work. It may well pay to invest in a decent pair of safety glasses that allow some air circulation to help prevent some of the fogging but as soon as you start to sweat you'll probably find your vision blinded by rivulets of the stuff.

After getting fed up with crap in my eyes and a trip to A&E with a colleague with a scratched cornes, I started to wear safety glasses under my visor all the time.

Yes, they are a bit cumbersome and can steam up, but I would much prefer that than risking my eyesight. It's bad enough as it is!

Hi there I have the same problem I hate glasses they give me an instant headace and tried all forms of eye protection . In the end I have settled for a full face clear visor as I can lift it up when I am not cutting and just use it when I need it it stops all the bits but the only downside is rain

The way to stop all clear visors and glasses goggles from fogging up is to get some neat washing up liquid or a use a regular soap bar get a cloth and smear the soap or liquid inside all over the inside of the visor then leave to dry for a couple of mins then polish it with cloth and you will be fog free . Y will need to re do it as and when but it works a treat . On the outside y can get some stuff from halfords that makes the water role off in tiny droplets.

Hope this helps All the best littletree:thumbup:

Hi there I have the same problem I hate glasses they give me an instant headace and tried all forms of eye protection . In the end I have settled for a full face clear visor as I can lift it up when I am not cutting and just use it when I need it it stops all the bits but the only downside is rain

The way to stop all clear visors and glasses goggles from fogging up is to get some neat washing up liquid or a use a regular soap bar get a cloth and smear the soap or liquid inside all over the inside of the visor then leave to dry for a couple of mins then polish it with cloth and you will be fog free . Y will need to re do it as and when but it works a treat . On the outside y can get some stuff from halfords that makes the water role off in tiny droplets.

Hope this helps All the best littletree:thumbup:

We have the same stuff here called Rainex I think. I also tried some fancy military goggles I ordered off fleabay. They don't steam up because you can crack the eye peace open a little but I had the same issues once I started to sweat and the goggles filled up. Felt like a scuba mask.

Has anyone tried those mesh goggles/glasses you can get? The mesh looks alot finer.

NO! And I wouldn't want to either. I'm not the vainest of women, but even I have my limits :lol:

They seem to have the worst features of both visors and glasses, and they still let dust through.