SRT help

the verminator

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the tree wrench fairleads the rope through your standard hitch and gives you a hand hold at head height??

Come descent does it also act as a rake in the way a fig 8 would and not put all the friction into your hitch?

I like how streamlined it is but as above, what kinda money are you looking at??

So the tree wrench fairleads the rope through your standard hitch and gives you a hand hold at head height??

Come descent does it also act as a rake in the way a fig 8 would and not put all the friction into your hitch?

I like how streamlined it is but as above, what kinda money are you looking at??

That's it, think they are $120 from treestuff.com

system i use,

SRT with hand ascender and Pantin, both dont need to be back up or even life support. As you put you footlock prussik above with atleast 8 wraps for single line. One hand underneath FTL prussik and one hand on hand Ascender. and you are fully safe.

You can descend by either having your Normal Double system on your FTL prussik with a Sling, you should put a stopper knot under ur FTL before you move on it.

Or you can take Ascender off as u weight is in your FTL prussik and put in figure of 8 and descend on 8, whilst holding FTL prussik as back up.

Or tie alpine butterfly clip bineer and pulley etc into that and your Normal system and descend and work off.

This system opens you up to alot of new ways of working around a tree, as sometimes that is you anchor point. But remember be away of the forces involved, as it can be up to double the force of where the SRT line is running.

i can put a pic up if you guys want? thousand words and all.

that other system is way slower than SRT as it has x3 parts in the rope rather than Single Rope Technique. Think its called RAD's System.

Cheers MOG

Yeh go on matt put some pics up,Ive still not got my srt sorted,Needs simplifying.

I climbed in the rainforests of Borneo for 2 years and Amazonas for 1. SRT is great on those long 50+ metre ascents and much more energy efficient than DdRT (Doubled rope technique / Prusiking). However there was always the compromise with the lack of ease at changing from ascent to descent which compromised the system.

There's never been a tree for me in the UK where very long ladders and the normal body thrusting (using whatever friction hitch or open / closed system) has not been sufficient. The whole idea of SRT is to minimise effort on long ascents but you've still to get off SRT and onto DdRT. If you're constantly doing long ascents and you're good with either a throwline or The Big Shot AND you find a good mechanical device that ascends AND descends on the same device then ok. Long change overs from ascent to descent compromise safety. I learned the hard way 40 metres up and getting stung by a swarm of aggresive tropical bees. Nothing like a long rope and a prussik in a panic situation to get you terra firma.

Long extension ladders and DdRT everytime for me in the UK. Sorry if I seem like a shiny new toy party pooper!