Mulching trees with root diseases

Steve Bullman

I dunno in all casses ive come up with that have involved meripulis it has involved root damage at some point in the trees history usually the prime examples being cable tell, drainage or building works i cant think of an example of an infected tree that has not had root damage so maybe the other could be ok? thats from my experience any way

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Even if you took the tree out and ground out the stump. Could take decades could happen next year.

Replant with a different species, I have a list somewhere of resistant (not immune!) species that would be suitable. Good idea to get them in now if there is space, so the overlap of tree ages is not so severe.

You did the right thing telling her that they're on the way out. All things die and fall apart, cycle and life and all that. Put new trees in, start the cycle again. blah blah blah :D

Meripilus can be spread though root contact.

would you not recomend a proper tree report and possible picus at ground level would be worried if i took over the care of said trees for them to fail i think it all depends on the consequenciality of them failing but seems a shame to loose such mature trees but then again they are only a crop hope i have covered my arse like a true pro

I'm not a Picus operator but a root level cross section might not show any defects, as all the decay may be on the underside of the structural roots.

Speaking of picus testing, I have another beech utterly mishapen, loads of adaptive growth, looks like a bundle planting or similar. Problem is, at some time or another someone has filled a large (150m by 70cm) cavity with concrete. And meshed it so the tree has enveloped the mesh. If I get the job, does anyone know whether a Picus could tell me anything about the cavity or would the concrete give misreadings?

If you're dealing with Meripilus then Picus is going to tell you nothing. The only way to find out the extent of the decay is to excavate carefully and have a look. M affects roots, not stem, and it largely affects the underside of roots. You won't find this decay by bashing nails arranged around the stem.

The long held view that Beech + Meripilus = fell is being challenged these days and it seems that the two can safely co-exist for some time. But the situation does need monitoring and that means digging about.

If the tree's stability is compromised through loss of roots fell it. If it isn't yet then do everything you can to help the tree to compartmentalise the decay. Mulching may help.

What definately won't help is crown reduction. Cutting foliage out is not going to increase the tree's vitality - it will stress it. The tree will divert resources to replacing that foliage rather than compartmentalising the fungus. You will accelerate the tree's decline. The only benefit of reduction is that you reduce the loading on the roots, but if they're shot enough to need that it's too late. Fell and replace

I should add, having just re-read the OP, that if there is significant crown dieback associated with Meripilus the news is bad. One of the features of M that has caused so much concern is that because it tends to leave the upper side of roots intact and able to conduct moisture there are no above ground symptoms until decay has reached an advanced stage.

Go back and take your trowel, but don't do it on a windy day.

Air spading could help, we deal on a daily basis with mature and ancient trees, decompaction has breathed new life into many trees in retrenchment and decline. We have even seen positive results within a couple of months.

Mixing in a mycorrhizal fungi is also beneficial..

Also while on site an inspection of the roots can take place..

Chris