bug id

geoff

I have been working on a roof garden in london and have seen loads of the beetles good to know what they are there is loads of them :thumbup:

That sounds far too enjoyable to be called real work :lol:

Roof gardens and green roofs are becoming increasingly important urban wildlife habitats. LAs have the power to insist on these on new developments (where practical) and it's a real shame that not many of them do.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory serves me well damsels and dragonflies can be distinguished from the the way damsels fold thier wings back and also in the flight method.

I seem to remember dragon flies all have wings permanently out streched even when perched and damsels folding as in the image above.

I could be wrong!

If my memory serves me well damsels and dragonflies can be distinguished from the the way damsels fold thier wings back and also in the flight method.

I seem to remember dragon flies all have wings permanently out streched even when perched and damsels folding as in the image above.

I could be wrong!

That's what I always thought.

... damsels and dragonflies can be distinguished from the the way damsels fold their wings back and also in the flight method. I seem to remember dragon flies all have wings permanently out streched even when perched and damsels folding as in the image above.

Tony,

:thumbup: : there are two types of damselflies, the Broad-winged damsels (photo 1), which are characterized by a rather clumsy and irregular flight method, and the Narrow-winged damsels (photo 2), which have much better flight capacities. Both fold back their wings while resting.

And then there are the Dragonflies (photo 3), which have permanently out stretched wings and even have the capacity to hover or stand still in the air.

---

Steenrode-heidelibel.jpg.70142b0f38f30ca0413d5ee903670445.jpg

Vuurjuffer.jpg.c70284de330d4ee884b576bafa2863f2.jpg

Weidebeekjuffer-man.jpg.2d2bf1abb675308b7c86b3c0d45e0e8b.jpg

Tony,

:thumbup: : there are two types of damselflies, the Broad-winged damsels (photo 1)...

Are they the "Demoiselles"? Like the banded demoiselle in the photo?

Adding to that, apparently in the UK the 19 species of damselflies are divided into nine groups and the 25 dragonflies into ten groups.

Are they the "Demoiselles"? Like the banded demoiselle in the photo? Adding to that, apparently in the UK the 19 species of damselflies are divided into nine groups and the 25 dragonflies into ten groups.

Janey,

Yes :thumbup1: : the second more "popular" name is "Demoiselle" and thanks for adding the information for the U.K.

This chap is amazing,great watch if you have a few minutes;

Ive just got in from work - I'm in no fit state to be looking at intelligent stuff :lol:

I'll consider it tomorrow's homework.