stihl 075???

straight fell

hi all this is my first proper topic on what i must looks a top site!!!! i suppose i best start by saying im no arborist if you have to climb it its a job for my mate who is hence the name straight fell :biggrin: but i have alot of experience on the ground and have used plenty of chainsaws over the years from electric 10 inch ones :ohmy: to a stihl ms880 with a 5ft bar on :001_smile: and imo nothing can beat stihl!!!!!

anyway i found the above saw in a garage clearance and miker of the site is selling me a 21inch bar and chain, so i guess im asking what can i expect from the saw??? is it as powerful as the modern equivalent??? with it having no chainbrake will stihl service it??? basically any info on the saw would be great and miker the cheque will be in the post this week mate, thanks again for the offer :thumbup:

They're slower revving than a modern saw, and much heavier, but will chew their way through pretty much anything. If you're planning on using it for anything other than cutting up well secured logs on stable ground on an occasional basis then I would seriously consider getting a chain brake retro-fitted.

Unless you know your local Stihl dealer to be good, and prepared to work on older saws, I would look at someone independent for servicing - whereabouts are you? Spudulike on this forum can probably help.

Alec

They're slower revving than a modern saw, and much heavier, but will chew their way through pretty much anything. If you're planning on using it for anything other than cutting up well secured logs on stable ground on an occasional basis then I would seriously consider getting a chain brake retro-fitted.

Unless you know your local Stihl dealer to be good, and prepared to work on older saws, I would look at someone independent for servicing - whereabouts are you? Spudulike on this forum can probably help.

Alec

thanks for that mate:thumbup1: do you have a rough idea it would cost to get a brake fitted??? id defo consider that for the obvious reasons, cant put a price on safety!!!! im based in derby is he close to there????

Should definitely have the manual oiler - may have a blanking plug fitted on the decompression (my 076 does). If it does, you really do need to pull it over gently to where it gets firm on the compression stroke, then grip firmly and pull hard - anything else and it feels like it could break your fingers!

It's unlikely, but worth checking, that you do have an 075 rather than an 051. The parts are very interchangeable so it's not unknown for one to be made up from the other. About the best identifier is the layout of the plug and decompression valve hole in the top of the cylinder - if you can post a photo of these it's easy to confirm.

Spudulike is near Baldock so not that near Derby unfortunately.

Alec

thanks for that mate:thumbup1: do you have a rough idea it would cost to get a brake fitted??? id defo consider that for the obvious reasons, cant put a price on safety!!!! im based in derby is he close to there????

i have a chain brake for one of these, check it runs ok first, if your happy with how it runs then send me a message! new parts will be very expensive!!!! cheers

i have a chain brake for one of these, check it runs ok first, if your happy with how it runs then send me a message! new parts will be very expensive!!!! cheers

sounds good to me mate:biggrin: thankyou very much ill keep ypu posted:thumbup1: glad i joined this site some helpful members on here:001_smile: