A job I'm dreading! (I love it when a plan comes together!)

Andy Collins

If you are replanting in 3 weeks, would it have been an option to just keep plants above ground with watering system in place (just as nurseries do)- just a thought

Fair question, and was a matter for debate between myself and the Landscape Architect. I have to consider several factors, H&S of the family's young children, health of trees being the most prominent. They are big trees if they for any reason fell over, they are more stable in the ground. I pre-filled the pits with a lot of water to ensure they are at least moist. The heat the last few days has been quite high, the rootballs were very dry, they'd been in Chelsea for a week, lifted and put on trucks, sat in traffic for hours, stood out until we could get them in the ground. They are worth 3k each, what would you do? The smaller Pinus bushes are on top of the ground, with the spare soil piled around the rootballs following a good drenching.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question, and was a matter for debate between myself and the Landscape Architect. I have to consider several factors, H&S of the family's young children, health of trees being the most prominent. They are big trees if they for any reason fell over, they are more stable in the ground. I pre-filled the pits with a lot of water to ensure they are at least moist. The heat the last few days has been quite high, the rootballs were very dry, they'd been in Chelsea for a week, lifted and put on trucks, sat in traffic for hours, stood out until we could get them in the ground. They are worth 3k each, what would you do? The smaller Pinus bushes are on top of the ground, with the spare soil piled around the rootballs following a good drenching.

I agree you did the right thing given these circumstances. I would definately put a disclaimer in though as you have not been present or responsible for their treatment before they came to you. I suspect you have:thumbup1:

Just the idea of delaying the whole operation while the hay is harvested is like another world- this must have (will) add so much to the total bill!

Makes me wonder in how many other gardens Chelsea plants are being transplanted right now- I remember on The Landscape Man program a guy buying a show garden but it didn't transplant to his house well as it was a one off just designed to look good on the day- black water etc. Still- this desire to be associated with chelsea is good for the trade. Work can come from the strangest of places:biggrin:

On this job, it is more a chance to have a taste of Chelsea, if these plants were not sold off they end up in a skip/chipped up. The idea is not to re-create the Chelsea garden into his garden, but incorporate some of the planting. I did not think that the garden shown in Landscape Man series fitted in too well in its new home, hence the idea of utilising various plants and fitting them in to the existing planting scheme. Plants I declined included 12ft bamboos, various tree ferns and a 15feet high yew hedge! :001_smile:

As far as the delay waiting for the hay harvest costing extra on the job, this is a necessary balance between the client and his wife to keep the status quo, therefore a cost he had to endure!

Edited by Andy Collins

The Multi-tasking Mulch Moving Machine in action! I have pushed this quad to its limits in the last few days, the bucket scoop is approx 4feet wide and the rhodies rootballs are about that in diameter, wet they weigh about 300kg. Moving mulch it moves just over 2 large wheel barrow-loads, saving a lot of labour. :001_smile:

IMG00677-20110603-1354.jpg.7c89355fc0741cf5cf2c571e7b00fdb2.jpg

No Ben, I bought the front assembly from the States, a company called Swisher. Fieldens only stock Logic and Wessex gear. The Swisher atv mounting kit runs right under the machine, attaching to the front steering arms and right through to the towhitch at the back. Its also leaf sprung to take the weight off the steering. The lifting crane is home-built modified engine lift, and is very precise when reversing up to a planting pit.

IMG00679-20110604-0849.jpg.70bf913903ae33a820fed89a69d8ade5.jpg

IMG00678-20110604-0848.jpg.7310e90904cba0d4434d64f7eba9378c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, the hays been cut, the bales are outta there, so onwards and upwards transplanting the trees to their final resting place. If you remember, the idea is to create an island in the field, partly to obscure a building across the way. got in my regular digger driving demon to give me a hand. Today, prepared and moved in the 3 pines, moved all the dwarf pines across the "estate" in preparation for tomorrow.

IMG00716-20110711-1651.jpg.5419a39bc7bf674995d5b1e694b4fa84.jpg

IMG00715-20110711-1535.jpg.7acf6a6ecccd9a00b00b4e3cf9ee60ac.jpg

IMG00714-20110711-1534.jpg.3c47c21720cdbe539cbe813d2390ca3e.jpg

IMG00713-20110711-1123.jpg.7a787e5f9499e5984dbd487567ec6bd1.jpg