This fella should be dead 81 times over

Tom Dunlap

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that happened over here, the company would be closed by HSE whilst under investigation, and the owner would be awaiting prosecution from the HSE and the power company.

Over here you are not allowed to work within 9 meters of overheads without the permission of the Power co.

Not entirely...I spent over twenty minutes talking with the homeowner who was there during the removal. When I described a bypass cut he agreed that it would have 'reduced/eliminated' the jump that occured.

Anyone who would like to talk to the homeowners would have no problem finding them. It only took me five minutes.:001_smile:

Last night I spent time talking with the homeowner who took the pictures. She sent me many pictures of the job.

When I asked her about the cut jumping she said that the crane had lifted the piece and it was twisted over and up. The climber reached out with the tip of the saw to cut the barber chair. By then there was a pulling load on the piece and it jumped and swung into the wires. After describing a bypass cut to her she agreed that it would have eliminated/reduced the jump.

Good joke Rupe...there was no second tie in in any of the pictures :bored::thumbdown:

Sounds like he had to much tension on the pick to me,thats what makes them jump.

So...some up tension is needed. Just a tiny bit to keep the piece from back setting and pinching.

Do you only make a through cut when lifting?

What would you have done differently to 'reduce/eliminate' the jump?

What if the piece starts to roll or twist while cutting? How do you control the piece?

I tell the Driver how much tension I want,make a horizontal cut on the side I think the weight is.Then if the saw starts to jamb,or the cut opens more than I am comfortable with.I get the driver to reduce the tension or apply more.When I am happy I make my second cut,downwards at an angle to meet the first horizontal cut.If the peice twists,then the back of downwards cut will jamb and prevent the pick from twisting.Similarly if the pick tipped abit and struck other branches then the back of the "Chair" stops the butt from sliding off the bottom.

I doen think I have ever done a single straight cut on a crane job.If it works for you then great.