Panic reproduction of macrofungi and trees

Fungus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tony and Gerrit,

I too have a picture similar to that. The Beech in the foreground was felled (due to proximity to housing, road and security hut) due to the signs of the Meripilus. The tree in the background had no previous visible signs of FFBs until the front one was felled. Is this a panic reaction or am I looking too deep and this is natural progression for the fungi? :confused1::confused1:

:thumbup1:

23082010143.jpg.043e0df818f882347c1bbae87d576f55.jpg

23082010144.jpg.b674fb6a902a156a0aed840a966bdd10.jpg

Would you class these armillaria melleas as panic fruiting?

Tony,

Yes and no. I would rather consider this to be first time prolific fruiting of a necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria with intensification of the killing of the remaining living tissues of the tree, triggered by cutting the tree at its base, because the Honey Fungus will still have the opportunity to further decompose dead wood after the tree has died completely.

The Beech in the foreground was felled (due to proximity to housing, road and security hut) due to the signs of the Meripilus. The tree in the background had no previous visible signs of FFBs until the front one was felled. Is this a panic reaction ?

Yes, this is an example of panic fruiting of the mycelium of Meripilus giganteus from a beech stump, that still has living tissues to support the decomposition of dead wood to produce FB's from by the mycelium, that has infected the tree in the background too through root-root contact and also fruits from this tree, because the mycelium "as a whole" is triggered to (panic) fruit simultaneously.

was the tree in your pic recently cut or has it been a stump for some time before the fruiting bodies developed so ubiquitously:confused1:

Sean,

Judging by the FB's following their "tracks backwards" on the major roots towards the root tips, I assumed, that at least the roots still had living tissue, that was invaded by the mycelium.

Tony,

Yes and no. I would rather consider this to be first time prolific fruiting of a necrotrophic parasitic Armillaria with intensification of the killing of the remaining living tissues of the tree, triggered by cutting the tree at its base, because the Honey Fungus will still have the opportunity to further decompose dead wood after the tree has died completely.

It was not freshly cut, 2 maybe more seasons cut, dont know for certain but was well gone in the surface roots.

Tony was the tree in your pic recently cut or has it been a stump for some time before the fruiting bodies developed so ubiquitously:confused1:

Its a rare sight to see mellea going so bananas, only once did i see similar and that was in a birch about to be finished off by the mellea

It was not freshly cut, 2 maybe more seasons cut, dont know for certain but was well gone in the surface roots.

Its a rare sight to see mellea going so bananas, only once did i see similar and that was in a birch about to be finished off by the mellea

We've got it going bananas on a few stumps that are about 5 years cut. These pics are of last years fruiting. There is a big deadwood ash monolith that i am making a noted of what is coming up each month. Them mellea that comes up around that is mind blowing. When i can get in there i shall get some pics when it begins fruiting.

013.jpg.24d92532bc4802504fac0028fc75efb2.jpg

012.jpg.97a143125ce32f9f09e6f00d685597cd.jpg

011.jpg.eca4ecd15e5ac8e4dcd76a27dcc3a515.jpg

010.jpg.dd51ba00cd46a9b2ffa3c0c81f6b1bab.jpg

009.jpg.674d2dacb4aa1a344a35301d048d8355.jpg

007.jpg.4fbec3461c87ccc12183d594807eb6c9.jpg

006.jpg.1877ae0773071249f0c3e7b2f8641243.jpg

005.jpg.06960b37103f56c4cf3c240bd79196a4.jpg