sycamore bleeding ,id !

Johny Walker

By looking at the bark, I assume we're dealing with a Platanus species and not with an Acer species, as is shown in the link. Confusion about what a sycamore is ?

No mate, its definately an Acer we are talking about here. Sycamore is the common name here in th UK for Acer pseudoplatanus. Hope this helps to alleviate your confusion. :thumbup:

Does Acer spp have a different common name in Netherlands?

By looking at the bark, I assume we're dealing with a Platanus species and not with an Acer species, as is shown in the link. Confusion about what a sycamore is ?

No, mine's definately not Platanus. It is Acer, common Sycamore or Pseudoplatanus I believe.

No, mine's definately not Platanus. It is Acer, common Sycamore or Pseudoplatanus I believe.

That's what I said, your tree is an Acer or maple (in Dutch esdoorn), Woodpicker's tree, I think, is a Platanus (in Dutch plataan). The problem arises because in English sycamore is used for either Acer or Platanus.

As to Phytophthora and the Armillaria, it makes no difference which tree species your or his tree is, as to Inonotus hispidus it does, because it only is a parasite of Platanus and not of Acer.

Acer pseudoplatanus in the UK is Sycamore. Platanus are known as London Plane

Arbgirl,

Thanks for the enlightenment, but in the U.S., Platanus occidentalis (also) is called American or Eastern Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and P. racemosa is called Californian Sycamore, so I think (at least for me, not being a native speaker of the English language) it's best to call the tree species by its genus name and not by its local or popular name. Besides, London Plane is not a species, but a hybrid.

Platanus occidentalis is known as the Oriental Plane here in the Uk

I know, but my point was and is, that in this international company of Europeans and forum members from down under, to avoid misunderstandig one another, we could better stick to the latin genus and/or species names, just as I do with the names of macrofungi, of which only a few have an English species name.