Clear exterior oil/varnish that lasts?

Rob D

Thanks Mark. I know there's lots of long lasting stains out there but it's a clear finish I'm after.

I've used all the Danish oils - Rustins is the original and I've found the best but as Alec says it breaks down outside. It doesn't flake but more leaves streaks....

Incidentally Rustins do a garden furniture oil with added UV filters but again this still breaks down over a year. Then they do an outdoor danish oil. This is a totally different product to normal Danish oil and is water based but again needs replenishing 3 times a year.

Normal yacht varnish is good but can leave a thick coat and again you can't put on wood with any moisture left in it.

Still looking like Le Tonkinois.... !

i would advise going to your local C Brewer and sons store and quiz them on there technical knowledge, iv forgoten alot of the tecnical stuff. what timber is it you need to protect, sadoiln combo in a light colour wouldnt change the timber colour much more than a clear coating does. and its semi micro porus so timber moisture isnt a problem.

It's less the microporosity that helps, more the fact that it's got low crosslink density (the polymer chains don't bond together at very many places). This leaves the whole structure more flexible, so it can expand and contract with the wood.

Have you tried Endeavour Oil? It's used on decks on boats, and particularly on the bit at the back (not sure what it's called) that's used for diving off, so the water washes over it - hence it's good in strong sunlight and wet/dry conditions. It's a two-coat system, the first coating being a penetrating oil, the second as a surface finish. It reeks of eucalyptus oil, which is the carrier. The second layer you have the option of a finishing oil, which gives a satin finish, or a wax which gives a soft sheen when buffed or dead flat if not. It has very little impact on the colour. I've used it on various things and been pleased with it, but it's not a high gloss, varnish type finish.

Alec

i would advise going to your local C Brewer and sons store and quiz them on there technical knowledge, iv forgoten alot of the tecnical stuff. what timber is it you need to protect, sadoiln combo in a light colour wouldnt change the timber colour much more than a clear coating does. and its semi micro porus so timber moisture isnt a problem.

It's various timber oak, cedar, redwood.... Even in a light colour sadolin would still change the colour too much.

It's less the microporosity that helps, more the fact that it's got low crosslink density (the polymer chains don't bond together at very many places). This leaves the whole structure more flexible, so it can expand and contract with the wood.

Have you tried Endeavour Oil? It's used on decks on boats, and particularly on the bit at the back (not sure what it's called) that's used for diving off, so the water washes over it - hence it's good in strong sunlight and wet/dry conditions. It's a two-coat system, the first coating being a penetrating oil, the second as a surface finish. It reeks of eucalyptus oil, which is the carrier. The second layer you have the option of a finishing oil, which gives a satin finish, or a wax which gives a soft sheen when buffed or dead flat if not. It has very little impact on the colour. I've used it on various things and been pleased with it, but it's not a high gloss, varnish type finish.

Alec

Sounds like it's worth a try...

It can be when the wood is not dry but I have used many clear treatments on dry wood and it never lasts a full year without flaking.

There is a huge range of indoor clear treatments and these work well already.

But it's an outdoor one I'm after. Sadolin now do this Sadolin Extra Durable Clear Coat - Clear Satin (1L) 241280

which I'll give a go next.

Translucent Wood Protection - Supercoat

Fiddes Oils

:thumbup1:

Have you tried Osmo Oil (UV Protection clear). I used it on an oak door I made as the guy I made it for wanted to keep the colour. It has worked well and has some good enviromental properties.

OSMO UK Color Exterior - Color - Exterior - Clear & Transparent Finishes

Thanks - have contacted the company and I'll try some.

Thanks but the supercoat looks to be a woodstain.

I have ordered some fiddes to try.... I also called them but they said they couldn't say/guarantee how long it would last outside. Sounds like another 'you've got to re apply every 4 months to maintain the finish' but will give it a go.

OSMO oil for finished pieces or a mix of gum turpentine (the proper stuff!) and linseed oil for anything rough finished like cladding etc.

Not 100% on how effective the OSMO is when it comes to prolonging colour without greying though - time will tell.

When colouring the wood is not a problem and you want max durability "Varnol" is the only way....!