Stein Climbing rope-bag

RC0

The thread is primarily to show the new climbing rope bag by Stein, but I’ve just included a few extras from today’s job anyway.

The rope bag is an adaption of the Stein crane bag, only it comes with a shoulder strap and inner Velcro flap (not shown in the photos) to prevent any rope from falling out as can happen with the traditional bucket style. I am not deliberately trying to knock the bucket style, but apart from stuffing a rope in on the ground I honestly struggle to see how they’re practical for use in the tree i.e bulky, awkwardly shaped, and put all the weight on the climbers harness....and on more than one occasion Ive unknowingly lost a couple several feet of rope out of the bag only to then realise that the entire reel is in hot pursuit on its way down to the ground.

The Stein bag sits over your shoulder and can then be positioned/clipped to either front, back or sides of your harness, depending on what’s most comfortable at the time....and the very fact that the weight is primarily in the shoulder strap makes all the difference, even when flaking your rope in on the ground simply stand up straight and hang it on your front. The shape is obviously far better suited for working in a tree, I don’t think I need to elaborate further on that one....and what’s more that the opening is only semi rigid means that it’ll keep your rope squashed in there even with several feet hanging out....the rope is far less likely to fall out accidently.

We decided to leave the flap on the bottom of the bag like the original crane bag for the odd occasion where you might want to just weave the tail of your rope down through a congested canopy before throwing the bag with remaining rope down the same route.

I hope to post better photos and video within the next couple of weeks, and not just crane work. We hope to have the climbing bags available within a couple of months.

A little about this job: 2 decayed lombardy’s breaking the wall so the decision was made to remove them. About 80 and 90ft, 2 cuts and half an hour per tree. The tops came off in a 50 and 60ft sections. It was not my intention to ride the hook and I'm in no way encouraging it, but the weather turned so volatile that it really was the only safe option on this occassion. Thanks

59765abee0d65_DSC00622-Copy.JPG.9bd0bdd654fdbc29b0b0283751b7e661.JPG

59765abedb15c_DSC00616-Copy.JPG.97fab1463e4b7cf840b9746856056bbb.JPG

59765abed6992_DSC00603-Copy.JPG.96d10f7fb24b2f4ddd8f519632166501.JPG

59765abed1dc2_DSC00593-Copy.JPG.f7e4a6fc691fc4a619824a5e93cedebe.JPG

59765abecdb1c_DSC00559-Copy.JPG.cf0dab40207a926918ebb0508df96018.JPG

59765abec8547_DSC00551-Copy.JPG.b22f564f9f7308dd14acf39b740b887d.JPG

59765abec2fb1_DSC00540-Copy.JPG.9ccfd7e4bc460543de623c57ece1f9ba.JPG

59765abebd3df_DSC00519-Copy.JPG.8a88efaa0de292318d3ec9d3a37dd88f.JPG

59765abeb9007_DSC00476-Copy.JPG.02dcd746330fde19d4b1c5fd716e9911.JPG

59765abeb49d7_DSC00472-Copy.JPG.9f84bf6ec0b1c0827f99c7407b24acac.JPG

59765abeb05bf_DSC00447-Copy.JPG.3057c0de777070ebf0e7c62a791edd05.JPG

59765abeabb1d_DSC00433-Copy.JPG.a1e3dedf72c23705dcbdb5c50490954c.JPG

59765abea6e96_DSC00393-Copy.JPG.74c194907291dc0dc6b40de3e6a4e33e.JPG

59765abea3578_DSC00387-Copy.JPG.1c56df6a4fd7634cea6f4f45b98f60ff.JPG

59765abe9f0cd_DSC00379-Copy.JPG.e752a776b9580f285734ce1378b23c96.JPG

great job Reg, making our job look very easy yet again, looked like wet/windy weather for treework, glad it all went well for you.

Outrigger placement in the first pic, rear left outrigger - half on the path half on the grass, a good idea?

Lyon make very similar (waterproof) bags with shoulder straps, will the Stein bags come in two sizes like the Lyon bags? one for climbing rope one for rigging rope etc? Also the Lyon bags come in loads of colours so its easy to co-ordinate what ropes you need with the groundies, currently using about 6 different ones at the moment, any plans to have different colours? Will the Stein bags be cheaper than the Lyon bags?

59765abf498cd_Lyon40ltRopeBag.jpg.7848cf05feb60ffe52d2cacc6f65de0d.jpg

great job Reg, making our job look very easy yet again, looked like wet/windy weather for treework, glad it all went well for you.

Outrigger placement in the first pic, rear left outrigger - half on the path half on the grass, a good idea?

Lyon make very similar (waterproof) bags with shoulder straps, will the Stein bags come in two sizes like the Lyon bags? one for climbing rope one for rigging rope etc? Also the Lyon bags come in loads of colours so its easy to co-ordinate what ropes you need with the groundies, currently using about 6 different ones at the moment, any plans to have different colours? Will the Stein bags be cheaper than the Lyon bags?

Thanks,

That was hardcore underneath, the grass had just grown over.

Never seen or heard of Lyon bags before....looks like a backpack and not a shoulder strap which positions the bag below the waist.... and even if it did the shape really offers little for working aloft.

The bag should easily accomodate 150ft of rope so not really any need to change that.

Different colour? I cant see the point, its just a bag that serves one or two purposes, either for climbing as described, or converting back to the crane bag by unclipping the large strap. The Large bucket style bags are far better suited for rigging, while this one is for carrying or storing a climbing rope in the tree.

The bags are rain proof to an extent but not water proof....full waterproofing might be a little over the top seems as the rope will be in and out of the rain anyhow.

The cost will be similar to the original crane bag. Dont know about the lyon bag as it appears more more general purpose to the Stein. I am not one of these people who looks at what others/companies are doing before setting to work on my own idea, otherwise they would not be my own ideas. Thanks again

Thanks,

That was hardcore underneath, the grass had just grown over.

Never seen or heard of Lyon bags before....looks like a backpack and not a shoulder strap which positions the bag below the waist.... and even if it did the shape really offers little for working aloft.

The bag should easily accomodate 150ft of rope so not really any need to change that.

Different colour? I cant see the point, its just a bag that serves one or two purposes, either for climbing as described, or converting back to the crane bag by unclipping the large strap. The Large bucket style bags are far better suited for rigging, while this one is for carrying or storing a climbing rope in the tree.

The bags are rain proof to an extent but not water proof....full waterproofing might be a little over the top seems as the rope will be in and out of the rain anyhow.

The cost will be similar to the original crane bag. Dont know about the lyon bag as it appears more more general purpose to the Stein. I am not one of these people who looks at what others/companies are doing before setting to work on my own idea, otherwise they would not be my own ideas. Thanks again

Cheers for the response Reg, thanks for the more in-depth explanation

questions - so its primarily designed to be used in the tree where the trailing end of the rope can be pulled up quickly, stored easily and be kept out of harm's way during rigging or freefalling situations where branches or sections of rigged timber might get caught up in your line? Also the climber could hang the bag up in the tree and just pull out the excess they think they might need when working around that area of the tree without having to keep leading the trailing end over various branches/stems etc time and again?

Lyon bags - from what i've been told - primarily used by Industrial Rope Access/Caving/Canyoning people who might be hauling many ropes (colour co-ordinated) and equipment (kept dry when not in use) up to an anchor points well away from vehicles etc. Like you say a general use bag, albeit a very good one from my experience. As you say the other climbing rope bucket bags for treework are pretty useless in the tree.

cheers

Edited by scotspine1

Found a link to it Fletcher Stewart

STEIN Crane Bag has been developed through the frustrations of getting Slings and Chains tangled in the canopy of trees during crane removals. The bag has been designed to hold your main anchor sling and support legs in one place with a specially tapered base which allows the bag to pass cleanly through the canopy of the tree to the waiting climber.

I did actually have the problem of the slings getting caught up as being lowered through the canopy on tuesday

EDIT, just the crane bag i think . . .

I've been using Lyon bags for a number of years and can't fault them. They are very durable bags. :thumbup1:

Reg - Nice idea i like the look of it.:thumbup1:

Cheers for the response Reg, thanks for the more in-depth explanation

questions - so its primarily designed to be used in the tree where the trailing end of the rope can be pulled up quickly, stored easily and be kept out of harm's way during rigging or freefalling situations where branches or sections of rigged timber might get caught up in your line? Also the climber could hang the bag up in the tree and just pull out the excess they think they might need when working around that area of the tree without having to keep leading the trailing end over various branches/stems etc time and again?

Lyon bags - from what i've been told - primarily used by Industrial Rope Access/Caving/Canyoning people who might be hauling many ropes (colour co-ordinated) and equipment (kept dry when not in use) up to an anchor points well away from vehicles etc. Like you say a general use bag, albeit a very good one from my experience. As you say the other climbing rope bucket bags for treework are pretty useless in the tree.

cheers

Very well put Tim. I watch my excess cllimbing line get dragged towards the chipper on a daily basis....some groundworkers have a knack of snagging it whether lowering or simply dragging brush. Usually no harm comes of it but when the chipper is parked close to the tree I dont take the chance and store it somewhere aloft....but the Stein is the only bag I'd actually wear on my person for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Found a link to it Fletcher Stewart

STEIN Crane Bag has been developed through the frustrations of getting Slings and Chains tangled in the canopy of trees during crane removals. The bag has been designed to hold your main anchor sling and support legs in one place with a specially tapered base which allows the bag to pass cleanly through the canopy of the tree to the waiting climber.

I did actually have the problem of the slings getting caught up as being lowered through the canopy on tuesday

EDIT, just the crane bag i think . . .

Josh its practically the same bag but now with dual purpose