recreational tree climbing

pjd1001

Hello all,

Is RTC as a business a valid venture? Does anyone have experience of this? It would be a side line in my current business but obviously I would need to fork out on the insurance and the 12 extra sets of climbing gear.

Cheers

Phil

Goodleaf (Isle of Wight) and Mighty Oak (cornwall) seem to make it work. I think it is a full time affair for them though. Speaking to Paul McCathie from Goodleaf last week, he said most of the work is in the summer. Maybe doing both is best. Slay trees in the winter and just swing about for fun in the summer and get paid!

I think Paul said his ratio is 4 student to one instructor.

RTC as a business venture has many advantages worth the challenges. Here in Kansas City, three of us have partner together to multiply our resources and reduce the work load. Knowing how to run a successful business is equal parts art, skill and flexibility. We found that instead of re-inventing the wheel we have taken lessons from other vendors and have adapted to a process that works for us. The consul and advice of those who have lead the way is priceless. Peter and Patty Jenkins at Tree Climbers International; Abe Winters of Tree Climbing USA; Shelly Byrne at EarthJoy have been very helpful for Tree Climbing Kansas City and now in our fourth year we will have recovered expenses and finally are showing profit. That stated this is the first year that we will be able to pay our staff instead of keeping the revenue to cover expenses. If you can afford the squeeze now and can wait for the juice later your rewards will come.

Some of us have taken time to form a group that have composed guidelines and suggested processes called the Global Organization of Tree Climbers which Paul is a Council member. There you can seek more advice and info.

GOTC - Global Organization of Treeclimbers

Dan House

By the way- This September 1 to 10th my wife and I are taking holiday to visit London and if possible would consider visiting with local arborists further about RTC. Of course finding a great tree to climb using borrowed gear would be a real plus! Dan

well i could see it working i helped do a rtc at cannington college for a open day and festival event, and there was always a good flow of people wanting to have a go, all we did was set up a fixed rope to a cambium saver around a tree and let them go up and down, be great for school fetes and events like that and people are always intrested in it and want to have a go

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for the responses. All very positive. I'm waiting for a few insurance companies to get back to me with a public liability quote. I was thinking a 4:1 ratio student to instructor.

Does anyone know if there are any training certificates I might need (apart from an updated CS38) in order to run this. Pward, you did this at Cannington. Did they ask for anything other than CS38? Did you do this with Mike Cullen?

All the best

Phil

By the way- This September 1 to 10th my wife and I are taking holiday to visit London and if possible would consider visiting with local arborists further about RTC. Of course finding a great tree to climb using borrowed gear would be a real plus! Dan

Dan,

Sounds like a plan to me. If I'm up and running in Sept I'll find a big tree to clamber around. I'm based just outside Bristol on the West Coast. As you're business is up and running I might tap you for a bit of advice from time to time if that's OK with you.

All the best

Phil