Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gerrit, I am doing a powerpoint presentation at the moment on my hypothesis regarding the fistulina interactions/adaptions and have a few questions, more may arise as i complete the presentation. i will ask you when completed for your opinion and comments regarding its content if I may before i make it avaliable for presentation.

Firstly, biotrophic parasite or necrotrophic parasite? I am having a tough time deciding. i currently feel that it is More biotrophic, but it has the capacity to live in dead tissues for many years after the death of a tree, is this purely down to the vinegar acids/phenols that the fungi feeds on still being available for lengthy periods after death? I am not talking a couple of years here, longer.

May I include qoutes from your fistulina gallery in your albums?

and can you please tell me more about your views on its live tissue actions

• 2 weeks later...
Sloth,

See this post and buy the book with David's pictures :thumbup: .

Thank you.

Another question if I may?

Regarding melanine plaques of Armillaria: does the mycelium need to gain a foothold and be present throughout a substantial volume of wood before it forms the plaques? Or is that first on its agenda, to prevent the ingress of another species spores or hyphae into its territory?

If two 'lots' of Armillaria are present within the same volume of wood, and ones mycelium encounters the others plaque, what occurs?

What is the melanine formed from? Ie, what constituent of the digested wood is used? Something present in all woods, or more in some than others?

Finally, regarding all species: do fungi store energy in some way (like fats/carbohydrates in animals/plants) or do they need to constantly feed from their substrate? Is it possible for them to recycle the mycelium present in an exhausted wood supply to provide the 'scouting' mycelium energy to look for new food sources?

Sorry for so many questions! Any answered would be appreciated, thank you, sloth

1. Regarding melanine plaques of Armillaria: does the mycelium need to gain a foothold and be present throughout a substantial volume of wood before it forms the plaques? Or is that first on its agenda, to prevent the ingress of another species spores or hyphae into its territory?

2. If two 'lots' of Armillaria are present within the same volume of wood, and ones mycelium encounters the others plaque, what occurs?

3. What is the melanine formed from? Ie, what constituent of the digested wood is used? Something present in all woods, or more in some than others?

4. Finally, regarding all species: do fungi store energy in some way (like fats/carbohydrates in animals/plants) or do they need to constantly feed from their substrate?

5. Is it possible for them to recycle the mycelium present in an exhausted wood supply to provide the 'scouting' mycelium energy to look for new food sources?

1. Both. After germination, it needs a certain amount of cellulose from decomposed wood to form hyphae and mycelium, which then are covered with melanine to protect the hyphae from acids produced by the tree (Quercus robur, Castanea sativa) or present in the soil (acidification) and to prevent the ingress of spores or hyphae of other species.

2. If the mycelium of Armillaria ostoyae "encounters" the mycelium of A. mellea, the first one kills the second one with its self produced species specific fungicides and takes over its territory and that's how the invasion of A. ostoyae from eastern Germany to the western parts of Europe within a period of 15 years is explained.

3. Melanine is a bio-polymere or pigment, which - just as the sugar polymere chitin - is formed by converting the sugar polymere cellulose, which is about 70-80 % of the total constituents of all woody substrates.

4. No, they only have the capacity of short term storage of sugar polymeres for "maintenance" purposes and development of the mycelium, so they need to constantly feed from the substrate, especially when they start fruiting.

5. Yes, they can "lift up their own tracks" while moving on. Besides, fungal parasitic species can recycle the mycelia of the macrofungi, they kill in the process, to form their own fungal tissues from. And perennial Ganoderma species f.i. "recycle" the sterile content of their FB's to form new tube layers from.