Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

Thanks Gerrit

You have confirmed my fears. The tree(s) affected form an avenue and I am not aware of any treatment that could be applied to the stumps of infected trees to stop the spread to the other healthy trees. What would your recommendation be given this scenario? Note the avenue is within falling distance of permanently occupied buildings.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You have confirmed my fears. The tree(s) affected form an avenue and I am not aware of any treatment that could be applied to the stumps of infected trees to stop the spread to the other healthy trees.

2. What would your recommendation be given this scenario? Note the avenue is within falling distance of permanently occupied buildings.

1. No, there is no effective treatment possible, although there are cases documented, where healthy indigenous pine trees lead their roots in the direction of and made contact with intact roots of recently cut pine stumps to "help" speeding up closing of the wound by the uptake and transport of nutrients from the soil before the stump was infected with spores or mycelia of parasitic brown rotters, such as P. schweinitzii or Sparassis crispa, or white rotters, such as Heterobasidion annosum, which would otherwise because of fused root systems threaten to damage the healthy trees too.

2. As I have no experience with the interaction of P. schweintzii and the originally northwest American Sitka spruce and do not know how well or poorly developed the tree species specific ecosystem (ectomycorrhizae) of Picea sitchensis is compared to that of the endemic P. abies, I can only indirectly answer your question by referring to the interaction between P. schweinitzii (or Sparassis crispa) and Douglas.

In the U.S., Pseudotsuga menziesii can associate with hundreds of generalistic and/or species specific ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, but in Europe it only can associate with a few generalistic ectomycorrhizal symbionts, which makes Douglas extremely vulnerable for endemic European parasitic macrofungi, as the before mentioned species of bracket fungi and parasitic Armillaria species, because of the lack of a well-developed root defense system.

In The Netherlands, P. menziesii doesn't get older then 100 years and in storms entire forest plots of Douglas or lanes are windthrown every year.

In The Netherlands, P. menziesii doesn't get older then 100 years and in storms entire forest plots of Douglas or lanes are windthrown every year.

a situation repeated here (u,k) with larix decidua, where it has been planted on new ground or not previously forested soils that grew larix decidua, i am convinced that Suillus grevallii in older more established forest eco systems is the agent of protection. a lesser more localised problem douglas fir and sparassis crispa

Larix decidua ... Suillus grevillei in older more established forest eco systems is the agent of protection.

Tony,

Not just S. grevillei, but in The Netherlands and Central Europe also the tree species specific Boletinus cavipes and Gomphidius maculatus, and a small number of coniferous tree species specific Russula and Lactarius species.

got a few ones here that I havent a clue on

Without the following information and from a picture alone, there's no identification possible, so :

1/2. Saprotrophic on the wood chips or ectomycorrhizal symbiont of (what) tree species ? Spore colour ?

3. Saprotrophic in grass or symbiotic with (what) trees ? Spore colour ?

4. Russula species, associated with what tree species ? Birch ?

5. Associated with beech (or oak) and with white spores ? If so, possibly Tricholoma ustale or T. ustaloides.