Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

Found this Polyporus squamosus on a Tilia sp yesterday on an old storm tear. Target unfortunately is a kiddies playpark. The significant size of the fruiting body suggests it is flourishing well and has plenty to consume? I am considering making a recommendation that it be removed on the grounds of safety as it is a white rotter and therefore tensile and compressive strength is diminished. This tree will be subject to windsnap I suspect? Your verdict would be welcome :001_smile:

There is also another smaller bracket of the same species in the picture further up the stem on an old pruning wound :thumbup1:

On Tilia and with panic reproduction this early in season, one can expect the mycelium to fruit once again in autumn. Considering the risk because of the wood behind the old storm tear soon being completely decayed by white rot and because of the location, I would (also) advise to fell it.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Gerrit,

So that I understand this correctly. When I see a fruiting body of such dimension (about 18 inces across for the P. squamosus) and vigour it is an indication that the fungus has stopped feeding and is now reproducing to 'find a new host'?

I have followed this and many other threads you have contributed to and am facinated by it all - thank you.

I have a similar situation with a Leatiporus sulphurous on Quercus robur. This time the target is a few rabbits and other trees in the vicinity. My prognosis is to allow this to veteranise itself and make a habitat for beasties (there is also Woodpecker damage around the fruiting bdy suggesting it is very weak at this point?) :thumbup1:

Regards,

Marco

05052011349.jpg.33b6edfbdd2d8d275dcdf4c140a8c412.jpg

05052011348.jpg.222d81c83d9e05c38343b2e8c9fca920.jpg

05052011346.jpg.adc8156f94c1b8865a3d0018826c3517.jpg

1. So that I understand this correctly. When I see a fruiting body of such dimension (about 18 inces across for the P. squamosus) and vigour it is an indication that the fungus has stopped feeding and is now reproducing to 'find a new host'?

2. I have a similar situation with a Laetiporus sulphureus on Quercus robur. This time the target is a few rabbits and other trees in the vicinity. My prognosis is to allow this to veteranise itself and make a habitat for beasties (there is also Woodpecker damage around the fruiting body suggesting it is very weak at this point?) :thumbup1:

Marco,

1. No, not stopped but intensivied the white rot and "consumption" of cellulose to - maybe for the last time - fruit to "find a new host".

2. Laetiporus sulphureus is part of the tree species specific ecosystem of Quercus robur. It facilitates the tree to become a veteran by making it hollow (brown rot), after which the meanwhile too heavy and no longer functional crown breaks, the big branches fall off and then are replaced by a top "wig" of smaller branches originating from activated sleeping branch buds, which take over the fotosynthesis and supply the tree and its ecosystem with enough energy to survive and become old.

And I have last year written an article (in German) on the preference of woodpeckers for brown rotted over white rotted trees.

Marco,

1. No, not stopped but intensivied the white rot and "consumption" of cellulose to - maybe for the last time - fruit to "find a new host".

And I have last year written an article (in German) on the preference of woodpeckers for brown rotted over white rotted trees.

1. Is this a 'rule' then for fruiting bodies on trees? When we see the fruiting body it is generally for the the reason you have stated? Or do you merely refer to the example I discussed with you?

I also 'study' (I use this term loosely as I am an avid reader and do try to practice what I read) ecology so this also is an interesting theme about woodpeckers - I guess brown rot is easier for the bird to break or is it the invertebrates that are attracted to the brown over white rot?

I know I have too many questions but these facts interest me immensly....thank you

1. Is this a 'rule' then for fruiting bodies on trees? When we see the fruiting body it is generally for the the reason you have stated?

2. I guess brown rot is easier for the bird to break ...

1. For annual fruiting macrofungi, and especially for the biotrophic parasites, such as Pholiota squarroides and Meripilus giganteus, it is, for perrenial brackets producing macrofungi, such as Phellinus igniarius or Ganoderma lipsiense it is not, in the panic reproduction phase they retract or withdraw their latest formed layers on top of the old pores.

2. Correct and they don't have to remove that much woodfibres remaining from white rotters, they just have to "jump up and down" a bit to create a cavity for nesting :001_tongue: .

Armybolke, I would also suggest checking for any signs of bats using that large cavity i.e. droppings, mouth wings, staining from urine and or from where their bodies touch the tree as the enter and leave it. If you get in contact with your local bat group they might be able to send someone around for a free assessment.

Armybolke, I would also suggest checking for any signs of bats using that large cavity i.e. droppings, mouth wings, staining from urine and or from where their bodies touch the tree as the enter and leave it. If you get in contact with your local bat group they might be able to send someone around for a free assessment.

Hi Common Lime, thank you for the reminder and I will go back and have a look. I have bat-surveyed as part of my ecology up-bringing so I will look for the signs you mentioned. An oversight on my behalf at the time and I accept a slapped-wrist :lol:

Hi Common Lime, thank you for the reminder and I will go back and have a look. I have bat-surveyed as part of my ecology up-bringing so I will look for the signs you mentioned. An oversight on my behalf at the time and I accept a slapped-wrist :lol:

I slapped-wrist would that be a pip fly over?:confused1:

Hi Rob,

Do you use the Search Key Word function?

For instance, if you type in 'mushroom' to the box, the directory searches the gallery list for 'mushrooms'

I ran that & it came back with a list of 12

Included was Pleurotus ostreatus, as an example.

If you searched for 'bracket' it comes back with a list of 25.

Also you could try searching, colour, pores, gills etc........

So you can narrow it down quite a lot, without having to trawl through all the 70 + galleries.

Hope this helps :thumbup1:

It does thanks david, its just knowing the key words to search for that will pop up the desired results

just for info i have done a lot of searching by tree too, would this pull up results that correlate to the search or would it not be as accurate due to some fung being unpredictable?