Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

Xerxses,

Whereabouts in Sweden ? And to answer your question, L. betulinus is a saprotrophic (simultaneous) white rotter, which hardly ever grows on the trunks of standing trees and has about the same effect on dead wood as the mycelium of Trametes versicolor has, the species it sometimes parasitizes on.

About 200 km north of Stockholm. So that rules out that one then:001_rolleyes: Cheers for your answer! Will still go back and have another look though, something aint right:sneaky2::blushing:

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so lenzites does rot wood and does not JUST live as a parasite of the trametes then? ive only ever found it in association with T. gibbosa and versicolour.

Tony,

Because they look alike when looked upon (concentric "rings", green algae) and can have comparable elongated to lamelloid pores and/or tubes, T. gibbosa is often mixed up with L. betulina. And T. gibbosa is not associated with L. betulinus, like T. versicolor is. Besides, on beech you can often find both species of Trametes fruiting on the same saw cut surfaces.

And did you overlook my identification of your whitish bracket fungus as Aurantioporus fissilis ?

Edited by Fungus

Tony,

Because they look alike when looked upon (concentric "rings", green algae) and can have comparable elongated to lamelloid pores and/or tubes, T. gibbosa is often mixed up with L. betulina. And T. gibbosa is not associated with L. betulinus, like T. versicolor is. Besides, on beech you can often find both species of Trametes fruiting on the same saw cut surfaces.

And did you overlook my identification of your whitish bracket fungus as Aurantioporus fissilis ?

not overlooked hence I said oh well the Suaveolens still eludes me, Your experience and continued input is helping tremendously:thumbup1:

David,

No need to send a sample to Kew, this is a (partially) sterile "tuber", i.e. the typical form of emergency reproduction of Daedalea quercina, as it is sometimes seen on Quercus robur, but more often is documented from Q. rubra.

A warning : the mycelium fruits in this deformed and half to complete sterile way once the substrate, the heartwood of the tree, has completely been brown rotted and there is to little "nourishment" left to produce a normal fertile perennial bracket. Especially at great hight affected Q. rubra can be very dangerous.

Gedenavond Gerrit,

came upon this earlier today on Quercus.

I presume this is an aborted G. resinaceum from last year.

there are no tubes in evidence.

From the language of the trunk & butresses & from sounding, it would seem that any basal decay is at a very early stage, so much food available for the mycelium I would of thought.

baring this in mind, would you be able to hypothesise as to why the resinaceum had not fully formed ?

IMG_3684.JPG.6eaca8875eeaad63e0c7f5fa10023015.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG.4a60b38746f1acc2baee387d4a314bfc.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG.95d094fea0207ba66257323fdbd0890b.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG.e9efe9a6f91a82edb59c27ea968312c2.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG.e92cc1fdae1a7a6c96d42e594f51e4b6.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

came upon this earlier today on Quercus.

I presume this is an aborted G. resinaceum from last year.

there are no tubes in evidence.

From the language of the trunk & butresses & from sounding, it would seem that any basal decay is at a very early stage, so much food available for the mycelium I would of thought.

baring this in mind, would you be able to hypothesise as to why the resinaceum had not fully formed ?

David,

From the looks of it, I also presume this is a (first or second) annual fruiting of G. resinaceum and the reason for not developing tubes could be, that the relatively young mycelium has not expanded enough to enable it to "consume" enough "energy" (sugar polymeres : cellulose) by decomposing wood to fruit properly. So this is not late phase emergency, but primal "poverty" reproduction.

Edited by Fungus

David,

From the looks of it, I also presume this is a (first or second) annual fruiting of G. resinaceum and the reason for not developing tubes could be, that the relatively young mycelium has not expanded enough to enable it to "consume" enough "energy" (sugar polymeres : cellulose) by decomposing wood to fruit properly. So this is not late phase emergency, but primal "poverty" reproduction.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of years to keep a check on the decay & the fb progression.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of years to keep a check on the decay & the fb progression.

Its pretty savage on oaks, decline in crown will be obvious when its getting into the upper portions of the roots. that one we cleared of a house in the winter was all in the root, hardly anything above ground:thumbdown:

Its pretty savage on oaks, decline in crown will be obvious when its getting into the upper portions of the roots. that one we cleared of a house in the winter was all in the root, hardly anything above ground:thumbdown:

This ones in woods surrounded by bramble, only has squirrels as targets :001_rolleyes:

I'll just keep tabs on it out of interest. :thumbup1:

Its pretty savage on oaks, decline in crown will be obvious when its getting into the upper portions of the roots. that one we cleared of a house in the winter was all in the root, hardly anything above ground

It is even more and faster detrimental to (the roots of) Q. rubra and fruiting on Q. robur together with Grifola frondosa (see photo) is alarming as it is an indication of the extreme danger of short term falling of the tree. And the second photo shows emergency reproduction of G. resinaceum at the base of a very old Q. robur with dual annual brackets of 65 x 30 and 40 x 20-25 centimetres.

Zomereik-Harslakzwam.jpg.cde3da7587836326b87b13282f6c1871.jpg

59765ab939758_Zomereik-Harslakzwam--Eikh.jpg.83d5f63ad7e92538590bf9740d79dbb2.jpg

It is even more and faster detrimental to (the roots of) Q. rubra and fruiting on Q. robur together with Grifola frondosa (see photo) is alarming as it is an indication of the extreme danger of short term falling of the tree. And the second photo shows emergency reproduction of G. resinaceum at the base of a very old Q. robur with dual annual brackets of 65 x 30 and 40 x 20-25 centimetres.

can see the folding bark plates in the first shot too! frightening!

interesting resinaceum that first one, ive never seen one that wasnt entirely sessile?:confused1: