lentinus tigrinus

So heres a question, why is lentinus tigrinus in the polypores?

[ATTACH]63166[/ATTACH]

Because genetic fingerprinting has shown that the genus Lentinus is closely related to the Polyporaceae and not related to the Agaricales.

Gerrit J. Keizer

This has frustrated me also.

The problem I find here, is that unless you have a complete grasp of the history of nomenclature & clasification, then anomalies like this Lentinus (whether genetic or not) will always add confusion.

As we're not trained Mycologists Tony, these are hurdles (though relatively small in the grand scale of things) that we will just have to straddled when we come across them.

Guess this goes to strengthen the arguement that we need to concentrate on the physical atributes of Id spore colour/shape/size etc.....rather than blindly depend on the literature.

I know you know this.

All part of the journey :thumbup1:

is there anything different about the gills specifically or is it just genetics?

No, in this respect it's just genetics. Since genetic fingerprinting was introduced, the position of some species had to be drastically reviewed. They f.i. found out, that Coprinus comatus is not closely related to other Coprinus species and that even though all Paxillus species have gills, they are closely related to the Boletes. And what to think of the split gills of Schizophyllum commune, a species belonging to the Aphyllophorales ?

Gerrit J. Keizer

No, in this respect it's just genetics. Since genetic fingerprinting was introduced, the position of some species had to be drastically reviewed. They f.i. found out, that Coprinus comatus is not closely related to other Coprinus species and that even though all Paxillus species have gills, they are closely related to the Boletes. And what to think of the split gills of Schizophyllum commune, a species belonging to the Aphyllophorales ?

Gerrit J. Keizer

I have an image of a large split gilled species, it was never identified, im going to see if i can find it in the image archives and see what you think of it.

Good to know about the paxillus too, am I right i assuming that older texts are now pretty useless with all this dna testing about?