swing mill v bandsaw mill

firewood

A bandsaw mill as I'd rather have the ability to make wide boards. I don't run across enough trees over 3' diameter to worry about capacity, and have only ever exceeded the capacity of the hydraulics once - with a 20' butt, 3' at the narrow end. We had to flip it round with a very complex combination of mill hydraulics and farm forks, but it coped (made enough planks to finish the boat and do my living room floor!).

Alec

to be honest it depends on your needs,and budget, a bansaw mill, and swing mills both have pro`s and cons, Ive used both and wouldnt mind both, swing mills can be set up round big logs in situ, and produce very precise accurate planks, where by the bandsaw mill can cut wider boards,,,,

Horses for courses.

If you are going to get big logs in back gardens then get a swing mill.

If you can get long straight woodland trees then get a bandmill.

If your budget is £5000 then get a swing mill .

If it is £10000 then get an hydraulic Woodmizer.

If you are young and fit get a chainsaw mill.

John

Hi, As you would expect I will say Swingsaw!. You can get to difficult locations, they are cheaper to buy and a lot less to maintain (only 5 or 6 teeth on a swingsaw blade). Wide boards (like a bandsaw will cut) are of very limited use as they dry faults will start to appear. But by far the greatest advantage over the bandsaw is speed.

regards

The Woodman.

I got the peterson ATS. It costs more than 5000 dose most things and with the chainsaw head can do wide boards or doble cut which the lucas wont do. I mill timber for myself and a little for clients. Its not really that that viable for a client but for me it works well.

The advantages are that you dont need hydrolics and an edging machine. Never used a band mill but ONCE SET UP it is nice and quick.

You need to ring the guy in devon he was lots of help to me Graham Mitchle.