chip box ford transit

wirralarb

The ply you speak of could be Phenolic coated, its the same sort of stuff trailer beds are made of.

I opted to buy aluminium twin skinned tongue and groove planks when I built my first truck and their still going strong on the second :thumbup:.

Its dead easy to work with but your always going to pop rivets (No pun intended) as the bodys flex and bend.

There is a guy on here that built a similar ali body on a Cabstar :thumbup1:( Ill try and find the thread)

A friend of mine opted for the ply and regreted it:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The trouble with rivets is they are ally and just too soft for the job at hand. Over time (not much of it) they stretch and loosen. Any paint over them cracks and flakes the ally and the galv do that attractive chemical reaction thing that looks so good down the side of Land Rovers. Once the rivets are loose any paint between the sheet and the frame gets damaged and things start to rust.

Whatever you use is always down to personal choice, ply is cheap and easy to DIY, Laminated board is dearer but the finish is way better, steel sheet has a bit of permanence about it but it shows battle scars. Oddly enough the weight difference between steel and ply isn’t worth the argument. Ally box profile is king but the price difference is horrific. If you use ally you need to be keeping the truck a while to justify the price.

Page 10 of Arbtalkers arbtrucks Sihart100 s post :001_cool:

My fist truck was with alloy planking and it probably cost best part of a grand with all materials, tools etc to do, ive just sold tuck to a fellow arbtalker but have done my new truck in marine ply painted black till i can afford to redo it in alloy. its cost me about £150 to do in wood and took a 1 1/2 days to do inc painting.

heres a pic of old truck and new

photo.JPG.ed52226148f22e11de12d4a693add49e.JPG

IMG_0920.jpg.e54c83ef0b4dd094f444e0ced6ba3965.jpg

Edited by sihart100

The trouble with rivets is they are ally and just too soft for the job at hand. Over time (not much of it) they stretch and loosen. Any paint over them cracks and flakes the ally and the galv do that attractive chemical reaction thing that looks so good down the side of Land Rovers. Once the rivets are loose any paint between the sheet and the frame gets damaged and things start to rust.

Use steel rivets and silicone between the frame and sheet. Problem sorted:thumbup: