blue cedar

Andy R

My neighbour has a blue cedar in their back garden, not very big. Up until last year it was a healthy tree but this year it seems to be struggling. I always promised to clean it out at some point but am loathe to do so now as it is very thin.

I have taken some pictures and would appreciate any idea's anyone has, as to why it appears to be suffering.

many thanks.

DSCN1055.jpg.c87379ecfc38502f43584519f9882314.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg.dc6c503a757f4dd971fee2a90cd9ff53.jpg

DSCN1053.jpg.9ec9c0ecb2e45f990e04546c67934652.jpg

DSCN1052.jpg.2b768ce0e34c893cf6472ab4e6c30298.jpg

DSCN1051.jpg.9eb6fb514dd05d63d2cb1e4c4b483ac8.jpg

I think in the very near future select branches will have shut down completely, it's hard to see in the pics but some branches are doing okay whilst others have very little foliage on them.

would aeration and a feed benefit it.??..common snese says yes but I would hate to get their hopes up without actually knowing I'm doing the right thing.

SBTC, This poor tree is struggling. I don't know what facilities are available to you but cedars are susceptible to many insects and pathogens capable of causing quickly appearing symptoms.

On Plate 6 the darkened area of the bark plating close to the ground looks suspicious to me. I would want to rule out a root rot such as Heterobasidion annosum.

I would recommend a (gentle) root crown excavation to see what is going on there.

For your future information: I have found care needs to be taken in trimming/thinning of these cedars as the limbs develop a natural dependence on each other. A little too much thinning can result in significant damage to the then unprotected limbs.

Good luck with this.

Dave

SBTC, This poor tree is struggling. I don't know what facilities are available to you but cedars are susceptible to many insects and pathogens capable of causing quickly appearing symptoms.

On Plate 6 the darkened area of the bark plating close to the ground looks suspicious to me. I would want to rule out a root rot such as Heterobasidion annosum.

I would recommend a (gentle) root crown excavation to see what is going on there.

For your future information: I have found care needs to be taken in trimming/thinning of these cedars as the limbs develop a natural dependence on each other. A little too much thinning can result in significant damage to the then unprotected limbs.

Good luck with this.

Dave

thankyou for your info. I would certainly need the assistance of an expert for any excavation work, I will look at some options for this...thanks again.

I think in the very near future select branches will have shut down completely, it's hard to see in the pics but some branches are doing okay whilst others have very little foliage on them.

would aeration and a feed benefit it.??..common snese says yes but I would hate to get their hopes up without actually knowing I'm doing the right thing.

I was called out a cedar a few weeks ago looked to me like an attack of Cedar Aphid, we decompacted and added a bio-stimulant to the soil little else I could think of.

My client is going to get the tree mulched as far out to the drip line as possible..

I do agree with D mc that dark area looks suspect!

Where in the country is the tree SBTC?

My initial concern apart from the obvious lack of foliage density is the weak basal union. Secondly is the possible root issues (possible root-plate movement?) I would address these before considering any other option. What's the point in investing in a flawed structure?

Where in the country is the tree SBTC?

worcestershire.

thanks for the info guys....I am fairly confident the owners of the tree would invest a reasonable amount towards the tree's health...but of course we first need to know the possibles causes/course of action.