Natural England pulling up trees

Perkins

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but did you know that they aragonated from shooting as they whating to improve incets and nestind habit for gray leg partidge.

Theres no set aside grants anymore. We have been getting single farm payments for years now.

even though set aside is not compulstry now, field margins are still being paid for by dardni under the countryside magment and they counted as set aside

again field margins and squaring filds are great for wild life but fill up with weeds and then blow on the cropping then you have to use more pestaside to control the weeds.

i know what you mean and i have seen this happen only when there was no ground cover estabilished eg a plowed field left. but we neaver had this problem as we sowed gass and wild flowers for the margins to get the grant.

Humans have managed habitats for many many years, lowland and upland heath have been burnt and controlled in a state of primary succession for our own needs. Colonising species such as Birch will develop then eventually other species will join in and bish bash bosh ....Woodland. To say a heathland is a baron place is naive, my dissertation was based on monitoring the effects of lowland heath management and the correlation between species and the associated invertebrates.

These invertebrates then attract the larger reptiles,birds and animals.

Pulling up trees by hand is a gentle way of management, burning over time has been replaced by the flail but they all have the same effect.

Heathland is a diverse and fantastic ecosystem and will hold a huge amount of microfauna and flora not found in other systems, hence the interest in management.

I used to work on heathland in east Dorset. I grew up in that area and have always had it around me. It is a source of so many arguments that result in stalemate situations.

<edited as after reading up to last post, realised I had duplicated what everyone else had said>

Edited by APC

Just a couple of references:

A heath or heathland is a dwarf-shrub habitat found on mainly infertile acidic soils, characterised by open, low growing woody vegetation, often dominated by plants of the Ericaceae. There is no clear difference between heath and moorland but moorland is generally related to high-ground heaths[1] with — especially in Great Britain — a cooler and damper climate.

Moorland or moor is a type of habitat, in the temperate grasslands, savannas, and shrublands biome, found in upland areas, characterised by low growing vegetation on acidic soils and heavy fog. Moorland nowadays generally means uncultivated hill land (such as Dartmoor in South West England), but the Old English mōr also refers to low-lying wetlands (such as Sedgemoor, also SW England). It is closely related to heath although experts disagree on precisely what distinguishes the types of vegetation. Generally, moor refers to highland, high rainfall zones, whereas heath refers to lowland zones which are more likely to be the result of human activity.[1]

Pretty much the same! lol