Large Timber trailer nearly finished

gensetsteve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, Jon does have a valid comment about overloading the drawbar of the tractor.

When you say the trailer is currently nose light, what sort of weight are you expecting on the tractor when its loaded?

I only ask as it is suprising how low the actual rated capacities are on most tractors.

The fabricators who normally build high spec ag trailers have said they normally would fit the axles further back. We are expecting to be too light on the front which would make the tractor bounce rather than over load it. It will all be a bit trial and error as its not purpose built. What would you say would be the max load on a 150hp tractor. If its 2.5 tonne I should just be able to lift draw bar with our jcb tele 525 when trailer is loaded.

I would say 2500kgs is a fair guess although I have been out of farming for some years now so the grey matter has aged a tad!

It would be worth trying to find out the individual specs of a few different tractors to be sure, but I think the spec is only either on the hitch itself or the operator handbook. Think there was a newish member on here who is a farmer may have one he could look up perhaps. Cant remember his name though, sorry:blushing:

If your load monitor still works on the 525, it should give you a rough idea when its at the top of the green part of the scale for 2.5tons, not when the back wheels are off the ground!:001_rolleyes:

I bet as its depicted in the second picture there is no more than 850kg acting on the ring hitch when empty and when uniformly loaded with 10t of wood with the crane in a similar orientation resting on the load I bet it don’t get much more than 1200kg on the ring hitch.

What you may find is you may want to fit an additional adjustable pressure regulating valve on the lead axel so you can reduce the suspension air pressure vs. the rear axel so you can transfer weight onto the ring hitch when off-road. ;)

Lastly, have you thought about the HMRC etc implications of merely undertaking haulage of timber when you are not directly involved in the operation to take down/fell the timber your carrying, thanks to the NFU & NAAC and the memorandum of agreement with HMRC and notice 75, ergo an agri contractor can no longer just supply the haulage element from field to farm etc unless they are/were directly involved in some part of the field cultivation/harvesting operation from which the “crop” “etc” they are hauling is/was derived, obviously if your buying the wood that is slightly different but you still don’t get the same leeway you do if you are both harvesting the wood & hauling to your “farm”/“yard”

Lastly, have you thought about the HMRC etc implications of merely undertaking haulage of timber when you are not directly involved in the operation to take down/fell the timber your carrying, thanks to the NFU & NAAC and the memorandum of agreement with HMRC and notice 75, ergo an agri contractor can no longer just supply the haulage element from field to farm etc unless they are/were directly involved in some part of the field cultivation/harvesting operation from which the “crop” “etc” they are hauling is/was derived, obviously if your buying the wood that is slightly different but you still don’t get the same leeway you do if you are both harvesting the wood & hauling to your “farm”/“yard”

If he buys the timber, then he is collecting his own goods and taking them back to his premises for processing, isn't he?