Ford Ranger Tipper

Lee Winger

i am good freinds with a large national fleet manager... they have took all rangers off fleet because of the reasons i listed earlyer....

Saying that they are light years ahead of land rovers is rubbish because a defender for instance is a tool its not a toy like a ranger.... IMO the ranger is £12995 for a simple reason its a ford focus on bigger wheels.....

If you do want to compare them with land rovers then you can but only with a freelander commercial which again kicks the ford rangers ass....

I have looked at the rangers Lee the salesman thought i was a muppet telling me they are amazing off road, on a test drive i shut him up by trying to reverse it up a slight grass incline, it was awful, also the panels wont stand up to much... Saying that if £12995 is what they are asking for a new one it is cheap, you wont even get a decent 7 year old td5 tipper for that price...

I guess what i am saying is they are not great but what do you expect for the price....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the sounds of it Lee, the Ranger will be fine for what your expecting it to do. I know of 3 locally one farm raves praise all over theirs. The other two are owned by a council country parks service, they are not so keen but in all honesty they never picked it an accountant did telling them a Landy was too dear. I'm not saying that as an enthusiast but they are asking two much of the ranger and they know it. They struggle to get much more than 17mpg when towing with them too.

Probably not relevant in Lee's case but I think these Jap pickups would be much better if the had a centre diff so you can use low box for shunting trailers without the tyre scrub/transmission wind up.

If your venturing on to the sticky stuff I'd shod it in some BFG AT tyres. but for towing a sprayer and gentle off roading at 12.5k you can't go wrong and it is pretty much a jap truck.

By the sounds of it Lee, the Ranger will be fine for what your expecting it to do. I know of 3 locally one farm raves praise all over theirs. The other two are owned by a council country parks service, they are not so keen but in all honesty they never picked it an accountant did telling them a Landy was too dear. I'm not saying that as an enthusiast but they are asking two much of the ranger and they know it. They struggle to get much more than 17mpg when towing with them too.

Probably not relevant in Lee's case but I think these Jap pickups would be much better if the had a centre diff so you can use low box for shunting trailers without the tyre scrub/transmission wind up.

If your venturing on to the sticky stuff I'd shod it in some BFG AT tyres. but for towing a sprayer and gentle off roading at 12.5k you can't go wrong and it is pretty much a jap truck.

Cheers mate good read, by the way my accountant picked mine [shes called the wife lol]

I'm not expecting it to be as good off road as a Landrover imo the best off road commercial vehicle available in this country..

I think Chris the build quality is pretty much as good as it gets, in the Jap pick-up market, Toyotas are just as poor imo

Sounds like a good buy Lee.

Pick-up's can be used off road but are not real offroaders. They are too light on the back end (if not loaded) and need tyres for task.

Don't expect too much of it off road. put the tirfor in the back if you think you might get stuck.

I like the look of the Ranger. They still look like a 'pick up' and not a hairdressers motor. ie nissan navara (IMO)

Got to have my say Lee (as always)

Yes we have a Ranger. 2 in fact. They work hard pull like a train. In total now done about 50k between them in a year with nothing more than regular servicing. Off road not brilliant without a load in the back but a couple of hundred kilos of tools and gear usually does the trick. (Any pick up I have ever driven is no different). If off road work was a priority than diff tyres would have been fitted which I think would make a big difference. More agricultural than some but it is a work tool not a toy.

A pic of a little trip recently. A healthy 3 tonne on the back!! and 600 miles. Returned 29 / 30 mpg and at times had to slow myself down.

Got mates with L200's, new Hi Lux's, one whos just got rid of his replacement Navara as it spent more time with Nissan than the one they replaced. Would I swap mine tomorrow. NO WAY.

RANGER550ZX.JPG.d0b0e0b58c30b933e3d262ee0b6475d4.JPG