Another thread that is pointless :) bees?

YoGi_93

I've been attacked by black wasps climbing in Costa Rica and disturbed a swarm of bees high up a tree in Gambia but got down quick enough.that time. I have always been amazed at how.relaxed UK bees are. I have rigged and craned tree sections with bees inside and used a saw inches from hives here and never been hit.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasps are brilliant little hunters and do a great job at keeping the numbers of insect "pest" species in check. I hate it when I see people getting hysterical and being all dramatic when wasps are around as they are generally non agressive towards humans unless they are threatened.

The only time that I can remember being stung by one was when it flew down my top and got trapped. Ouch!

Wasps are brilliant little hunters and do a great job at keeping the numbers of insect "pest" species in check. I hate it when I see people getting hysterical and being all dramatic when wasps are around as they are generally non agressive towards humans unless they are threatened.

The only time that I can remember being stung by one was when it flew down my top and got trapped. Ouch!

There not so brilliant when 20 of the little buggers get you all at once. I got stung by a huge solitary wasps once and it felt like I had been shot. Hard to believe such a little bug could pack such a punch

There not so brilliant when 20 of the little buggers get you all at once. I got stung by a huge solitary wasps once and it felt like I had been shot. Hard to believe such a little bug could pack such a punch

Ok, they may not be so great when they are attacking you en mass. Must've been your fault in some way though! LoL x

I hope you don't feel threatened by Bees?

They're very important to us and aren't at all threatening or agressive unless of course your smashing up their nest or something

We need more Bees!

Very beautiful insects :001_smile:

Nope im not threatened by them my dad keeps them in a small holding type thing :) i just wouldn't like to be stuck in a tree with a hive next to my face as i cut down their home :001_huh:

I do some work for a client here who works for a company that's into ecologically sound pest control (sure there's a proper name for it but I've got brain freeze). They sell ladybirds, parasitic wasps etc. They also sell bumble bee set ups, honey bees etc that they courier out to you and you can set them up in the garden. I love the idea of releasing heaps of ladybug larvae onto my roses to deal with the aphids and I also fancy having some bumbling bumble bees in the garden. We already have some repeat visiting bees that nest in a cavity in the wall and then spend their days roaming the lemon tree and flowers before buzzing their way back to the nest. I love to watch them bumble about. I'm also keen on most other bugs and beasties except for the german wasps and cockroaches (not the native ones), the wasps especially as they attack all the native species.

I usually get stung a couple of times a year!! Hazard of the job. The worst case i ever had was when i was out with my hound. The dog ran across the top of a nest that was in the ground, and i knew nothing of it until i heard a mass of buzzing, sort of cartoon style but not as funny, so i looked round and saw a swarm of wasps flying towards me. So i decided that as i was i open countryside that i would run........and run......and run until i could run no more. When i stopped i could still hear the buzzing so i turned round and saw......nothing. I took my top off and they were all over the back of it so i threw it on the floor and started stamping on it killing as many as i could!! Anyway while i was doing this a couple came walking towards me and when our paths crossed i was saying wasps, wasps loads of wasps everywhere!! Bet they thought i was nuts as the when they first saw me i was jumping on my top in the middle of a field!! Hence i'm not that keen on wasps.