Ever Dream of more?

TArrryan

As some of you might know by now (but most probably don't) I am only 24 and have been running my own garden services business for the past 3 years with increasing success!!

A good friend recently asked me where i wanted to be in twenty years time, this has got me thinking about how my business will advance and develop over the years, I certainly don't expect to still be running a local garden services business when I'm sixty, neither do I plan to work for anyone else ever again!!

however neither do I plan to stay in the landscape garden sector all my life, I have only just started thinking about this and was wondering how hard it would be to take on self employed electricians and builders on projects and expand into building and construction, eventually providing enough work to sustain your own work force!!

have any of you ever though about how you want you business to expand? will you be happy building a business to live off of, or do you want to go beyond your comfort zone and build a empire :thumbup: ????

Im only 24 the same as you, and im a few steps behind you with regards running a business. Im full time employed, but self employed at the same time as I try and grow my countryside management and forestry business from the ground up. With any luck mine will be a business I CAN continue with for the forseeable future. I can see me ducking back into agriculture in the future, or ive other strings to my bow. I used to be a professional sound engineer, I do a lot of wildlife photography, and I still get very much concerned that Im not going anywhere or wont be able to.

Diversification can be a strength, or can be a rod for your back, or somewhere in between it may lead you off down a road you never really saw coming. Im really not sure whether it's realistic in this day and age to have a firm long term plan in place. Everything's in such flux that it's sometimes a job to know what's going to be what next month!

never setting ones eyes on a fixed plan is a wise idea, there's so many variables in life that it will certainly never happen how you imagine it. I instead think of all the potential outcomes and try to steer myself towards the most favourable one.

I did build up my business to the point where I was sending out another team as well as leading one myself.

It did not work for me, they let me down too often and did not do things to the same high standards that I demand of myself.

IMO, the easiest businesses to grow are the ones where your staffs duty's are simple and unskilled, where you can write the instructions for carrying out their tasks on one side of A4. As then your staff are innately replaceable by the next person in the dole que.

I intend to carry one leading my own team and doing all my own climbing until I fall off the perch.

I'm 41 now and work 4/5 day a week, at 55 I hope to be doing 3/4 days a week at 65 2/3 as I get older I will require less income so this should work out fine (I hope)

IMO, the easiest businesses to grow are the ones where your staffs duty's are simple and unskilled, where you can write the instructions for carrying out their tasks on one side of A4. As then your staff are innately replaceable by the next person in the dole que.

I agree and understand your point completely, its why china is a economic power now!!

I like Loyalty and attention to detail, both quality's which are insanely hard to find now days, If you can find a employee with both of those then you are on the right track.

I never dream of more these days. I've been down the route of working for others, and though they seemed to have it all, the sports cars, big bikes, big houses and exotic holidays. But the big trade-off is the level of stress they invariably suffered. I am now satisfied with pottering about, doing jobs my way, spending time to talk with clients, enjoy the jobs instead of the manic chasing after anything and everything to keep a business afloat. I now enjoy the job far more, I dont get stressed and grumpy. Unlike Mr Huck, I have fully trained and competent friends to call upon for the more technical jobs, and it works better for me, and more importantly we have a laugh doing the job, make time for a cook-up and all the things that make things more pleasant during the day.

Saying all this I'm a long way past 24 now, but i cant imagine doing anything else. :001_smile: