Heating price worries

andythesquirel

There are containerised woodchip boilers which incorporate a chip store, feed system and boiler all in a 20' container that is piped into your existing heating system, by-passing the oil / gas boiler.

this makes a movable option should you move on. (External space permitting)

I would have thought that to all the people that are aware of the price of fuel etc woodchip boilers would be a source of heat worth looking into and could well help with the saleability of a property.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a LOT of research and looking at Biomass.

The problem with woodchip systems is the feed systems are very expensive, usually 3 phase powered, and are not really suitable for domestic (under 50kw) applications.

A 50kw woodchip system might cost you £15k, but a 250kw system only £18k. its econmoies of scale.

Pellets solve this issue by having a high calorific value, and move / flow very easily. They are easy to transport, and need a lot less room to store.

The downside I always felt was the availability of pellets. Usually shipped in from abroad, or produced by huge sawmills that then pricefix the market.

However, in the last few months we have been working with a manufacturer to build a small scale plant that will dry and pellet ordinary arboricultural woodchips.

My hope is that we can soon bring this to the market as one simple unit - pour woodchips in one end, high grade high value pellets comes out the other end.

as arborists, for a little effort and lack of convenience if you have a log boiler you have got free fuel.

i've always felt with pellet boilers, if you run out of pellets (possible) it a frigging nightmare to get a log in there.

firewood is free but pellets cost £££'s

if i was a baker i would not go to tescos to buy my cakes and bread!!!

I run this, no need to cut logs if I can lift it it goes in, like you Ed I don't have the time or want to be cutting logs.

I want to change it for a chip boiler in time, don't fancy pellets as I would be dependent on a suppler, with chip its free.

I would rather spend a few £K more on a chip boiler and know I don't have to buy my fuel.

5976536be57c6_fires002.jpg.b2767e8e1e4f3c92f2631d9b54114d62.jpg

5976536be3084_fires001.jpg.357a3c0908e0a479dcd24f8e00fc1f0a.jpg

I

However, in the last few months we have been working with a manufacturer to build a small scale plant that will dry and pellet ordinary arboricultural woodchips.

Nice one Ed! I was researching this myself last year but got stumped on how to convert chips in to pellets. I found that at present pellets are made from sawdust, shavings and grasses - I assumed woodchips were too large and wet to compress in to pellets.

Pellets are the way forward for sure.

I run this, no need to cut logs if I can lift it it goes in, like you Ed I don't have the time or want to be cutting logs.

I want to change it for a chip boiler in time, don't fancy pellets as I would be dependent on a suppler, with chip its free.

where did you get that boiler??? its awesome, i want one.

as for the pellets i agree!!

and as for the time....don't you guys have staff???

I

Nice one Ed! I was researching this myself last year but got stumped on how to convert chips in to pellets. I found that at present pellets are made from sawdust, shavings and grasses - I assumed woodchips were too large and wet to compress in to pellets.

Pellets are the way forward for sure.

Your right, woodchips are to bulky and wet to pelletise, so we have to run them through a hammermill first, to get the particle size down to 5-6mm, then run that through a large tumble dryer to get the moisture content down to 12- 15%.

Then it goes through a pellet press.

where did you get that boiler??? its awesome, i want one.

as for the pellets i agree!!

and as for the time....don't you guys have staff???

Mine is a Ruffle, they don't make them anymore, but you can get a Farm 2000, I think, which are similar.

As for staff:scared1: don't get me started on staff:scared1: more trouble than they are worth, IME.