Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worries Pete.

Just as a matter of interest, Big'Ammer, it's rare to get to hire a Basket 18m without operator, simply because they are so complex, heavy and difficult to setup. They normally hire out the 15m which, if I remember right is self levelling and set's itself up and doesn't allow for error.

Did you hire it without operator because it sounds like you have a bit of experience with them.

There are so many things that can trip or you have to do things in a certain order, for example there's trip switches on the hinge of two of the legs which stops you putting them down if they are in the stowed position.

I've used all sorts of platforms over the years Dean, some better than others.

Wheeled ones, tracked ones and truck mounts.

I quite like mewps for certain types of job or certain parts of certain jobs and will often use one in conjunction with a climber.

I like to try new stuff out to make sure I'm not missing out on anything that can make the job easier.

Not that they always do, some platforms are rubbish for tree work.

I don't find the RQG 18 hard to set up you just need a spotter to shout out the leg pressures and get them all about the same. Its a bit fiddly the first time though.

The 15 Basket has some lights which all need to be lit up to make sure theres even pressure, very similar machine to an Easylift 150. Both these have good out reach of about 9m

Prefer the easylift as it has a wider footprint to the basket and will go out to full stretch all round without alarms going off and the safety features stopping you from going further out.

Disadvantage with both these however, against say the RQG 18, is the telescopic legs have to hit the floor and the slide along it to full extension before jacking up.

This makes it difficult to set them up where there are a lot of obstacles, say down a tight gap with a wall and kerbs, or gravestones perhaps.

More compact machine like Ranger R15 is better in those circumstances.

In terms of having an operator, I like to work in the platform alone and then no ones in the way. And plant people often know nowt about tree work and are a nuisance on a site. Plus an operator is one more on the payroll!

Also not everyone has something that can tow 3500kg so they would need it delivering on and off site.

But an operator who was a tree surgeon as well and had his own land rover......:sneaky2:

The 18 has to be one of the most versatile, I have had mine setup on steps and had it in places you would say were impossible to get a MEWP in.

Mine however, can only be used where there is no risk of property damage because it has no test cert, because it has been involved in an accident.

Wouldn't take much to put it right though. It needs a new basket which is over £2K for one and a bit of leg pin hole elongation repair.

I still use it for private jobs away from public etc.