346 xp gasket change help.

wildewood

Not sure why you would wan't to change the base gasket unless it is for a thinner one to raise the compression.

That being said, I don't personally use a ring compressor but cock the cylinder at an angle and then ease the closed end of the ring in and then push the open ends in to the cylinder with a small blunt screwdriver. just ease it on with a little oil in the bore and make sure the ring open ends are in line with the location pin.

I could write a book an what else I do when doing the job but that is for another day:thumbup1:

I have a piston ring tool

very cheap

very simple

very pleasurable to use

No chance of damage

if you do regular maintenance get one or do like spud or even try wrapping a piece of paper round to slip it in.

Cheers

The saw dust around the cylinder probably rolled in to the mating surfaces causing the air leak - Personally every saw I take the head off gets pressure checked but isn't always needed if care is taken in reassembly.

The job isn't that difficult - just dont force the cylinder down on to the piston otherwise the ring is in danger of snapping. Make sure no crap has got in to the crankcase. I roll up a small ball of tissue, push it down in to th ecrankcase and let the turning lobes of the crank to push it round the crankcase and out the other side thus cleaning the crankcase internals:thumbup:

Yes, before you reassemble and with the piston sticking out of the crankcases, just rotate the crank until the lobes are about to go back in to the crankcase and pop the tissue in front of it - I haven't done a 346 but if it is like the 357 then you may not be able to do this due to the crank assembly having circular crank lobe side plates.

I think you are making too much out of the job, if you have some sort of mechanical apptitude it will be easy for you - put a little oil on the bore before assembly - do not use grease though.