Sticky Bedford Brake

Mike Hill

Well,the new clutch went it well.But with "Dirty Dorris" being parked up for a few days the rear brake pad has stuck to the Drum.I see that you can usually wind the pad away from the drum via a screw type device,but alas the one in the Drum mentioned has fallen off.So could I just insert a screw driver in there,put vice grips in the shank and try and turn it?Or might that break somthing?

I really don't want to have to take the Wheels off and hammer the drum off (if it will come off at all).I know I could try and bleed the cylinder on the hub but I'd like to know if the pad can be backed off the drum by turning with a screw driver?

Try dragging and welting the drum at same time, that might undo it.

Does that mean pulling the drum laterally and smacking it with a hammer ?I blead the cylinder at the drum this arvo but no joy there.I think the shoe has stuck to some rust on the drum and can't come off.

Does that mean pulling the drum laterally and smacking it with a hammer ?I blead the cylinder at the drum this arvo but no joy there.I think the shoe has stuck to some rust on the drum and can't come off.

The drum will most likely have a lip on it as well mike so the adjustment will need backing off.

Can't remember the setup inside the drum so can't advise on broken adjusters.

If your going to give the drum a tap don't hit it directly on the outside of the drum. Put a waste lump of flat metal on and hit that, you then put dents in the waste metal not the drum . Don't go mad wacking it or you'll distort or crack it.

...and you'd be better putting a bar through the studs and put a bit of turning pressure on at the same time

I used to use sledge hammers and hit simultaneously on opposites sides of the drum at once one in each hand, you will need two pairs of hands to do all that so best find a four armed alien to do it for you